Leaky strakes

This forum is for members general information exchange. You must register with name and valid e-mail address before being able to post a message. Non members are welcome to make contact with us through this forum. Please don't include your personal contact details in your message.
samphire2014

Leaky strakes

Post by samphire2014 »

Apart from the option outlined in the technical manual, has anybody attempted to cure this problem by using 2 pak waterproof foam?
Keith 66

Re: Leaky strakes

Post by Keith 66 »

If you mean rubbing strakes are leaking best way is to take them off & re bed them using butyl or polysulphide rubber mastic, Polyurethane mastic can also be used but if you ever have to take them off again it makes removal hard. Two pack or one pack foams are useless for stopping leaks unless for very short term use. They both let water in before long!
samphire2014

Post by samphire2014 »

Thankyou! Not what I really wanted to hear, but good honest advice is always of great value
samphire2014

Post by samphire2014 »

Technicsl update. Completed this work in May. Manual says 9 tubes of Silkaflex, my advice is this is a tight estimate and you will need 12 plus the fixer to do the job properly. If you bed up with a surplus, storage of opened tubes in a fridge will give a minimum 12 months extended life expectancy according to the manufacturer. I had 3/4 tube left at the end and did not reseal the stern strake as I felt it unnecessary.