propellers

This forum is for members general information exchange. You must register with name and valid e-mail address before being able to post a message. Non members are welcome to make contact with us through this forum. Please don't include your personal contact details in your message.
tufty

propellers

Post by tufty »

Just a thought, I fancy fitting a 2 bladed prop. of about 14x10 rh to see if I get a better sailing peformance over a longest journey as I can lock it in line for a few days, any feed back would be appreciated ie looking at ebay,boat jumble etc In hand book Cylesta has a folding prop. Rather put the cost to a new main.
chrisccook

Re: propellers

Post by chrisccook »

When I bought Quintella last Autumn the previous owners had just fitted a folding prop, it seems to do the job and push the boat along nicely. Doesn't always fold away when you switch the engine off as you can hear it turning as you sail, but by gently easing out of neutral in to gear stops the rotation and then it folds away. I guess it must add to speed through the water when sailing by reducing drag and turbulence, but I have nothing to compare it to..! I don't know if its slower under power than a normal prop, I guess it must be, but it can push the boat along at 5 knots at standard revs with a 24hp Buhk, I haven't needed to push it further so not sure of the maximum speed available. At the end of the day its a sailing boat, not a stink boat so if budget is tight I'd go for new sails, especially a good genoa..!
tufty

Re: propellers

Post by tufty »

Hi Chris,
Just ordered a new main, brought a new genoa last year As I browed the prop from a friend he would like to put it back on his boat for next years trip away. Just burnt off a tank full of old fuel by a trip to Alderney over last w/e very little wind,fuel been in the tank and some in cans for over 3 years.