New Engine

This forum is for members general information exchange. You must register with name and valid e-mail address before being able to post a message. Non members are welcome to make contact with us through this forum. Please don't include your personal contact details in your message.
Wildcat

New Engine

Post by Wildcat »

I am looking at replacing the engine on Wildcat with a new Beta20. Beta tell me that their local agent in Hamble has fitted the engine that has a standard sump in a number of boats, but I am concerned that this may be a bit tight, given the shallow bilge in the engine bay. I have a MK1 boat and wonder if the MK2 boat has a different shaped bilge. Does anyone have any experience of this or the fitting of this engine?
tufty

Re: New Engine

Post by tufty »

HI wildcat,
You need to speak to Scott at TS Marine (Hamble) as he I'm sure would have fitted a BD722 (20hp) to a MK1 Sabre. On buying my engine the only things he advised me on was to have a hi level exhaust and a different shaft coupling to the one beta supplied.
When I fitted my engine I placed a drill chuck to the cutlass bearing with a piano type wire which ran though the tube of the prop shaft centralise at the exit in the boat to a strong spring to keep it taught at the engine box end, from this wire I took all the measurements for the bearers etc. This will be the centre of the engine pulley wheel to the centre of the gearbox shaft. In my boat there were no side plates for the bearers to be bolted too, so I had to build all that up to take the engine bearers.
I believe that the MK1 and MK2 bilges have the same dimensions could be wrong. I do know the cockpit floor is on a different level.
Keith are tech officer may have the answer and a better way of putting in a new engine and lining it all up as I did mine in 2006.
Wildcat

Post by Wildcat »

Thanks tufty, good advice. I have measured up now and am confident that the standard sump will fit.
Was it a 20hp engine that you fitted. I would be interested to know how the sabre performs with it fitted, particularly in heavy weather.
tufty

Post by tufty »

Hi Wildcat,
My engine is 20hp it performs really well I do have a 3 bladed propeller 13 x 8.5 in fact I am looking for a 2 bladed prop 13 x10 to try out for my trip next year. The only time it failed was after a rough channel crossing but that was a clogged up filter my own fault for not cleaning the tank out.
Keith 66

Post by Keith 66 »

Most people seem to be fitting 3 cylinder Beta 20's or similar. I fitted a Beta 16 with two bladed prop & it has performed very well.
I was advised by TS marine who supplied my engine to fit a high rise exhaust elbow to lessen chance of water getting back into the engine.
Its worth noting that heat exchanger tube stacks need cleaning out regularly see my article in Rattling Sabres.
In hindsight if buying a new engine I would insist the the tube stack could be withdrawn easily without having to dismantle the exhaust or taking the alternator off to get it out!