Cruising chute Dimensions

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

Cruising chute Dimensions

Post by Sabre27Admin »

Tony
56 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2010 : 20:45:02
ANybody using a cruising chute, that flys well on a Sabre 27 able to tell me the dimensions of it?
tokomaru111
United Kingdom
38 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 : 07:38:34
I have found that it is much more effective if set as a spinnaker, much easier to set and control although in six weeks cruising in France this season I only managed to set it once, the "iron topsail" was employed much more often.

Sunfly
United Kingdom
51 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 : 11:30:01 Sunfly's Homepage Edit Reply Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
Hi Tony
I recently bought a second hand cruising chute, I havne't go the dimensions to hand but I'll try to dig them out for you. It sets ok and allows us to reach a bit deeper in lightish airs, and can go not too far off DDW if you drop the main, as the cost of a bit of boat speed. I assume you're also looking to find a second hand one, if so good luck, it took a fair while searching before I found mine. I used secondhandsails.co.uk in the end but also looked at seateach and exchangesails.co.uk

However, if you're buying new, the sailmaker will calculate the exact dimensions tailored to your boat (remember mk I and II have diferent rigs and home completers might be different again!). If you talk nicely to Saturn Sails, who run the second hand sails website, or any other friendly sial maker, they'll tell you the ideal dimensions.

Nothing - absolute nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats

http://sunflythesabre.wordpress.com

Lottie
United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 : 12:33:39
When the Sabre was designed there was no such thing as a cruising chute. So my guess is that there is no standard chute on the sailplan. So what you get when you order a cruising chute may vary in weight, size and shape according to the ideas of different sailmakers. The cheapest quote can be a third of the most expensive.
Common to all chutes are light spinnaker-like fabric material and asymmetric shape. Generally they seem to be smaller than the equivalent spinnaker (80-90% of the spinnaker area) though the largest area quoted for my Trident was 25% greater than the smallest.
There appear to be two main styles – though different sailmakers use different terms for them. The most common (and cheapest) is often known as a Radial Head. These have tapered panels radiating from the head to provide the sail with fullness and horizontal panels at the bottom. Different sailmakers favour different proportions of the sail in the vertical radial section and bottom horizontal section (verticals vary from 40 to 65% of the luff in those I've seen). Different makers specifying different cloth weights (.75oz to 1.5oz are common) and may have different maximum windspeeds in mind.
Less common (and more expensive) are full or tri-radial sails with tapered panels from each corner – and sometimes with horizontal panels through the centre. These are sometimes said to give better close wind performance and to be useable in higher winds – sometimes because they are heavier and flatter cut. To complicate things even further, other sailmakers insert vertical panels into the centre of radial sails.
Given that much variance, I guess when looking for a secondhand chute the most important dimension is simply ensuring it’s a bit shorter than your forestay.

yerffoeg
United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 : 20:51:36
Crusader sails made me one and I am delighted with it. Because there were relatively large numbers of Sabres made, many of the larger sailmakers already have experience of cutting a cruising shute for a Sabre and may not even require measurements.

sabre27
178 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 : 22:21:12
Some years ago after I shredded a very old spinnaker I had a Cruiser made by Robert Kemp complete with launching and recovery sock.

Superb piece of kit as usual.

A cruiser is basically a big reaching sail so will not be very stable directly downwind without a very long pole, but it does not require all the string of a Spinny. Being single handed I don't miss the spinnaker a bit!

Paul Howard. S27OA Technical Officer.

ken endean
United Kingdom
52 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2010 : 11:34:08
A cruising chute is very powerful on a broad reach and can sometimes be carried with the wind a forward of the beam. Expect to match the speed of a 35 footer or larger (under plain sail) when you have it setting properly. A couple of years ago, coming out of La Rochelle on a Saturday morning in company with a mass of French craft, Mary steered our chute close-hauled and sailed past every boat in sight with the exception of one water-ballasted racer. However, with the wind well on the quarter or further aft the chute becomes very sensitive to rolling, because it is partly blanketed by the main and does not have the spinnaker pole to hold it in clear air on the windward side. Therefore, it can be frustrating when sailing well off the wind in light airs and swell. Sometimes, strapping the main in amidships may solve the problem! A few Sabre owners have fitted short, run-out bowsprits, immitating the gear on modern sportsboats with their asymmetric headsails.
Beware on measurements: some sailmakers do not know that Sabres have various mast heights. You need a luff length that, when stretched tight, leaves some room for a downhaul strop at the tack, and allows the sail to ride clear of chafe points such as the pulpit.
We sail two-handed and dispense with a recovery sock by always bearing away to drop the sail in the lee of the main. Mind you, I have a personal aversion to extra pieces of string, and we continually check that we are going to have space to bear away, in case we have to drop it in a hurry.

Tony
56 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2010 : 20:58:03
Thanks all who replied, and please dont take this the wrong way. Flown spinnakers and chutes for years, was not really looking for info on how to fly them, types etc. Keeping an eye for second hand, so simply trying to get some info specifically relevant to a sabre 27. IE Luff, leech, foot dimensions if anyone is able to provide them.

Rgds
Tony
Edited by - Tony on 12/10/2010 20:59:27

rory7520
United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2012 : 15:49:23
CRUISING CHUTE DIMENSIONS

I have read the forum on this subject and cannot pin down the dimensions for a Mk 2 Sabre 27. There seem to be plenty of second hand chutes on the market but I don't want to waste money on one that is too small or too big! My mast is 32'6" but I do not have a measurement for my forestay to hand. Can anybody with a similar boat advise me of dimensions for a chute which works for them? I would be very grateful. Thanks

Rory Steevenson
'Smuggler'
(previously Totts of Avon)

Tug6451
United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2013 : 19:04:42
Tony,
If you ever get a reply regards the best measurements (ie. Luff, leach,& foot size)for a cruising chute could you email them to me. (tug.wilson51@btinternet.com as I'm after the same info.
Thanks Tug

Chris "Tug" Wilson
Boat:"Vingt Sept"
Fin Keel(1971)
Torquay berth.
=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================