Fuel tank

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

Fuel tank

Post by Sabre27Admin »

SteveV
United Kingdom
43 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2013 : 10:25:09
My sabre has a plastic fuel tank in the port locker. I see most had a steel tank in the engine bay. I am conidering fitting one to save locker space and get a bigger tank. So has anyone retrofitted one?

Does it hang from the cockpit floor
How many litres do they hold
Are these sort of things available tobuy or will it need a custom build
How much am I going to be looking at to buy one.

Steve
Sarabande
Edited by - SteveV on 19/06/2013 10:26:47
richardabeattie
United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2013 : 22:02:19
So what have you got in the space where we all have steel tanks?
Yes the steel tank hangs from the cockpit sole. Whatever you do make sure you include a drain tap and a means of opening up the tank to clean it.

Mike T
67 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2013 : 13:58:36
Hi Steve,
I used to have the stainless steel fuel tank as fitted standard but took it out last year to replace it with a plastic tank for 2 reasons.
1. standard tank is about 30 litres new plastic one is 55 litres.
2. The metal tanks make a lot of noise when your walking around the cockpit.

To get the old tank out you have to unscrew it from cockpit floor and bring out through engine hatch (easy as my engine was out at the time)
to fit the new tank I fibre glassed in a flat shelf behind the engine and calorifier to sit the plastic tank on.
Plastic tank now sits on the shelf strapped down with webbing.
Because I went for a 55litre tank rather than a 50 I had to cut a hole into the port locker so the fuel tank protrudes about 20mm into the locker.
Hope this helps
Mike
Ps my new tank was an off the shelf tank.
=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================