Water in a bilge keel?

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

Water in a bilge keel?

Post by Sabre27Admin »

robbyc0
United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2013 : 13:54:48
Hi all - I have Maggie May, 1973 bilge keeled 27 (No 200). While on the slipway having the mast refitted I noticed a bit of glass on the bottom of the outside of the port keel foot that would not dry. Turned out to be mushy. So I hacked out the loose stuff and there was water in there between the glass and the lead keel. I dried out the hole a few times but water kept re-appearing. Pushing on the glass on the foot forced a little water up to the hole each time. As tide was rising expoxied over the hole and re-antifouled. Now afloat again the boat has a pronounced list to port. In my tiny mind I am wondering if the keel is hollow above the lead and it's full of water? There is no evidence in the cabin while afloat - or maybe it's just that the fuel tank is empty! Is water in there common? Is it bad? Should I come out of the water and drill some drain holes?
Simon Hayes
United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2013 : 09:42:51
Hi, My hull is number 189 so a similar vintage. When I tiedied up my hull I found the shoes were quite a sloppy fit on the bilge keels with gaps in the resin between them. It was only apprrent when I gouged away some of the fillet along the join. I was out of the water for a while so I let it dry out and filled the gaps with epoxy. I don't think its a major issue as the shoes are sacrificial add-ons anyway. If you have water in the body of the keels themselves that would be more of a worry. However, some voids are common.. and I think that'scovered in the S27OA manual.

Regards

Simon

Simon Hayes
United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2013 : 09:50:05
PS...

Kasia tends to list to starboard and I just bear that in mind when stowing gear to offset it. I'd be surprised if you had enough water in a keel to cause your list. More likely just the distribution of other things in the hull??

:o)

robbyc0
United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2013 : 08:55:30
Thanks chaps - never thought of the manual and I have an original on board! Very re-assuring, especially as my fuel tank is nigh on empty which probably accounts for the list.

Cheers all..
=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================