Sabre windows

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

Sabre windows

Post by Sabre27Admin »

hightide
United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2013 : 12:01:23
hi having read thru all the forums hadnt seen any mention of anyone replacing their windows with new one s has anyone done so and who did you use to manufactor them
keith
United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2013 : 22:39:15
I replaced mine during the rebuild of Sabreuse, the new ones were made by Technautic of Burnham also known as Branchsound ltd.
Pretty good job they made of them too.

hightide
United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2013 : 14:58:31
thanks keith just spoken to the guy at technautic have to look into taking out windows and getting a template made like the sound of the clamped one have to see about price thanks rich

ken endean
United Kingdom
52 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2013 : 10:32:19
Technautic did a good job for us,several years ago. The clamping ring option is more secure and also helps to clamp the edge of the vinyl internal liner. HOWEVER, make sure both parts of your 'interscrew' clamping screws are stainless; we were sold stainless male screws but plated brass female sleeves (top hats) and the latter caused corrosion in the alloy frames until we changed them for stainless.

rory7520
United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2013 : 11:10:27
I contributed to this subject last week but obviously failed to post my note. Dave at Technautic made windows for SMUGGLER two years ago and they are superb. My experience is:
1. Follow Ken's advice and have backing plates with stainless steel male screws and female 'top hats' inside.
2. If you can, replace your headlining while your boat is windowless.
3. Paul Howard suggested avoiding the 'opening' aft saloon windows which were fitted originally. My only 'opener' is the heads' port hole which was also the most expensive of my new set!
4. When I had mine made, I took the old windows to Burnhmam and asked Dave to put the new screw holes exactly between the old holes. I then made good the old holes in the fibre glass. I drilled new holes into 'virgin' fibre glass using the new windows (drilled by Technautic) as the template.
5. Check the thickness of the fibre glass all the way round each window. There are variation eg between 6 and 9mm on SMUGGLER. You need to know your screw sets are neither too long nor short. Dave is able to provide what you need.
6. Some of the fibre glass apertures needed filing to accommodate slight difference in the old and new windows. Easily done, a little at a time.
7. As well as the mechanical screws I opted for SICOFLEX I think it was 820i) which ensured a proper bond which is 100% waterproof. Some say this makes it impossible to remove the windows should you need to. Not so. Last year I subsequently removed my fore cabin windows to replace headlining (as I only did the saloon in 2011). No problems at all and still 100% waterproof.
8. I took many photographs of SMUGGLER'S refit including many of the windows and headlining. If I can help by sending a CD of the relevant pics, please ask.
9. Finally, although I have tinkered with dinghies, I had never refitted a boat before and took my time and spent MANY hours seeking the advice of our Paul Howard our brilliant Technical Officer. Keep his phone number handy!!

Good luck!

Rory Steevenson
SMUGGLER of Keyhaven

keith
United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2013 : 19:00:51
There will almost certainly be considerable variation in thickness of the moulding, i built the low bits up with CSM & filler then faired them of. took a bit of time but greatly simplified fitting the windows as all the interscrews were the same length.
Dont be tempted to use butyl sealing tape, i tried this & it twisted up round the screws & caused a right old mess! I used Seamseal BR a semi setting butyl rubber sealant.
=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================