Lewmar 40s on a Sabre

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

Lewmar 40s on a Sabre

Post by Sabre27Admin »

Iain C
United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2014 : 21:56:02
Ive just acquired some Lewmar 40 two speed winches, the non self tailing version. Has anyone tried these on a Sabre? Do they fit? Does the handle interfere with the guard rails and you are back to a "back and forth" winching action?

Any experiences or comments appreciated!

Thanks
sabre27
178 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2014 : 21:36:08
Hi Ian,

Have been away for a while and just returned. I’m sure you will have found that you can’t use these winches without raising the safety rail.

Many years ago we fitted Lewmar 16 single speed, self tailing, top handle ratchet winches. This has proved a reasonable setup in practice. You get quite good at it after a wile.

Paul Howard. S27OA Technical Officer.

Minerva
United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2014 : 20:01:44
Hi,
I have some 2 speed winches given to me by a friend, To make them work i removed the guard rail from around the cockpit, then put the dodgers on bungy chord and clip so they can be lowered. If you want i can send you photo's. hope this helps.

Iain C
United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2014 : 23:56:31
Well, I fitted the Lewmar 40s and they fit, and work, a treat. To be honest there's so much more power there than the standard tufnol jobbies that the lack of ability to turn the handle all the way is irrelevant. The second gear is also very low compared to the 1:1 gear, so in practice it just feels you're grinding as usual, with more power, with a "freebie" bit more of a wind on the return stroke, when you would usually just be going against the ratchet. Now to fit some Barton Winchers!

=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================