Wooden Legs

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

Wooden Legs

Post by Sabre27Admin »

LupeLele
Canada
7 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2014 : 23:30:51
Hi, I'm new to the association. I love the legs on La Crevette (see Legs in the S27OA Handbook). I have never seen anyone with yacht legs in Canada, but they seem infinitely useful. After a quick search I saw that some people make wooden ones, which might suit my budget fine. See photo below.

It seems people place them midships, but this seems a little unstable to me, not laterally, but longitudinally. Many beaches are not perfectly level, and that might make it worse. For those with experience on legs, is it tippy at all, front- to back-wise?

Also, A beach may seem ok, but when the water goes out, what if one side turns out to be in a soft spot? It seems things could go sideways quickly.

I will probably make mine with plywood foot pads to avoid any sinking feelings. Also, I'm wondering if 4 legs might be better than 2. But perhaps that's totally unnecessary.

Any thoughts, or words of experience?

Mike
NPMR
United Kingdom
59 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2014 : 10:41:52
"Huzzah" came with wooden legs but they have languished in the shed ever since we got her. Too heavy and too cumbersome to have around the boat.

The hull has two large bolt-holes and the legs have matching holes for the bolts. As a fin-keeler, she balances pretty much on the keel when dried out alongside a wall, for example, and the legs are only to stop her going sideways. As long as the C.O.G. stays in the middle she won't topple. So you have to have limits on the sideways slope you can rest on but otherwise she'll be fine. Fore and aft, I can't imagine a problem.

We filled the holes in the hull with a large dome-headed bronze nut and bolt and washer and sealant. She has never leaked here and indeed we've painted over the whole thing so you can hardly see it.

You see lots of legs on fi-keelers, so I don't see why a Sabre wouldn't be OK too.

Good Luck.

LupeLele
Canada
7 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2014 : 21:32:27
Thanks for the advice. We'll give it some more thought and,in the mean time, use other methods for drying out. I think, to remove the risk of falling over, it would be best to have a method of jacking one side or the other to fine tune the balance on unprepared ground where there is no wall available.
=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================