Vetus M204 - Helping us sail more?

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

Vetus M204 - Helping us sail more?

Post by Sabre27Admin »

Mikenfi
United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2014 : 17:53:29
Hello all,

Fi and i were lucky enough to strike a deal with Nick BD (who I am sure you all know) to buy Hyjanorra. This has allowed us to live our dream of sailing off into the sunset. Well almost.

We have never experienced any trouble with the installed YSE 12 and from what I believe neither did Nick. However after some maintenance, oil flush & oil change to the reccommened Yanmar oil) The YSE 12 is now costing more in oil to run per hour than diesel.

While crossing the channel in the french side of the shipping lanes we experienced the first of our problems. which i was able to rectify with a top up of oil and letting her cool down. Hours later the old beast is working again and we were relieved... then the belt snapped. so i fitted a new one. no problems there but we had so much smoke heat and pressure that the exhaust elbow blew out. two problems... Bugger!

we have been speaking to some nautical engineers here in france and they have each said that it will be a costly fix as it may need re boring, a new elbow and still there maybe further issues down the line. We will be relying solely on the engine for the next 1000 odd miles as we take on the french canals, to the med. So think it maybe a good idea to get a new engine fitted. We have been recommended a Vetus M204. I understand some sabres have the M205. which we think is good news...

can anyone tell us if this will mount to the onboard mounting plates with ease or will it be something that has to be modified to fit the yacht?

Although we love this engine we have a finite amount of money and cannot afford to keep fixing this engine should problems persist. As i have said she hasn't let us down before the oil change from semi synthetic to mineral, as stated in the manual.

This hasn't dashed our happiness of living aboard our sabre she a beaut! We just want to sort the problem as quick as possible and as cost effectivly as possible!

Any advise would be appreciated! We are currently in Fecamp sipping and super cheap bottle of red with some awesome cheese and the most amazing baggette! Quite happy to stay here really but there is loads more of france and the world to see!

thanks guys!
SteveV
United Kingdom
43 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2014 : 20:46:04
I have an M205, no idea about the mounts though.

My biggest worry is having to replace the engine. Mine is running fine touchwood, but you never know.

johnle
United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2014 : 21:31:37
We fitted a Beta 2 cylinder 16 hp with new beta mounts that are able fit existing bearers with ease. it is a very nice engine and much lighter than the previous Volvo. A number of plus points in favour of Beta all bits you need to get at are at the front of the engine, the heart of the engine is Kubota this is the engine used in mini diggers on building sites world wide, if they can put up with this, life in a Sabre must be a doodle. Because of the Kubota lineage spares are very available.

Good luck with your trip

John [Pelagos]

SteveV
United Kingdom
43 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2014 : 21:37:40
How much dis your beta upgrade cost?

johnle
United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2014 : 21:58:52
about £5000.00 fully fitted.
Althorn Marine Engineers North Fambridge

Mikenfi
United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2014 : 12:39:06
Thanks for your help. the engineer is coming over in the next few hours so i will let you know what the cost is if you were to pop across to Fecamp. The lift wash and relaunch costs 137 Euros. Its a lot cheaper than the UK so we are guessing everything is cheaper!

Maybe its worth the crossing... We plan to stay at the campsite when the work is being undertaken! There are also various hotels that are reasonable, for those who dont like tents!

nickbd
United Kingdom
207 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2014 : 19:38:37 nickbd's nickbd's
Hi Mike & Fi,

So sorry you're having problems with the old Yanmar YSE. I'm really pleased you made it over the water OK.

Another possibility to consider might be a Yanmar 1GM10. I looked at Rory Steevenson's Sabre in Keyhaven last year and the had the 1GM10, which is tiny in comparison the YSE but apparently pushes the boat along happily at hull speed. Perhaps Rory can give you more info about the fittings - he is a member of this forum so you should be able to contact him using the 'Click to send an E-Mail' feature. Here's his profile link:

http://sabre27.org.uk/forum/pop_profile ... lay&id=193

Price-wise this engine was pretty reasonable compared to other engines - £3.5-£4k new from memory. 2nd hand much cheaper, obviously. I'm not sure what price you've found for the Vetus.

Best of luck - let us know how you get on,

Nick

==============
Nick B-D
webmaster@sabre27.org.uk
http://www.tinstar.co.uk
For those of you that want to keep up to date with our cruising...

We have a blog.

http://aboardhyjanorra.weebly.com/

thanks, happy sailing
=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================