Radio Antenna

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

Radio Antenna

Post by Sabre27Admin »

kcalco
United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2014 : 16:53:00
Hi
I have to replace my VHF radio antenna and cabling, can i get away with one of these tuned areals on the back of my boat like Metz or is it a case of getting one fitted at the mast head?
A second option i'm thinking of is a waterproof hand held radio for if i go overboard sailing single handed.

On a another point ofcom has issued me with a new call sign saying that there was a duplicate and they instructed me to get the radio reprogramed.
I replied yes all done and did nothing, problem solved. I wonder if I'm the only one that has done nothing about it.

Regards Ken
ianfr
United Kingdom
104 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2014 : 17:10:38
Hi Ken

If you are talking about a fixed VHF, the aerial should be as high as possible to give the best range.

I have a Metz at the masthead, and a second on on the pushpit which feeds the AIS receiver. If I was unfortunate enough to lose the mast, the AIS aerial would become an emergency aerial. 25 Watts from a fixed radio might just get further than a hand held at 5 Watts.

If ofcom have issued you a new MMSI number it would be advisable to get it changed on your fixed radio, as the CG are pushing hard for everyone to start using DSC properly.

A hand held VHF that is waterproof, and that floats might work if you went overboard, but a PLB would perhaps be a better option.

Regards

Ian

Kind Regards

Jo and Ian
Apogee, Tollesbury

kcalco
United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2014 : 20:10:21
Many thanks
Will look into PLB's, good idea and a handheld radio, for the weather broadcasts, what no DSC.

Regards Ken
=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================