Windvane steering

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

Windvane steering

Post by Sabre27Admin »

Minerva
United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2015 : 11:19:30
Hi all. The time has come to favor a windvane over the power hungry autohelm. If anyone has a windvane and can share their model and howit performs I would be very appreciative. Also if your sabre is a fin or twin. Minerva is a twin and I hope this will not be an issue.
Many thanks in advance.
ianfr
United Kingdom
104 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2015 : 16:15:09
Hi,
I am just fitting a windvane, that is built from plans. I inherited it (damaged) from another Sabre and I know that it steered the boat across the North Sea and back at least 3 times.
The plans were printed in a book by Bill Belcher. The book is out of print and VERY expensive if you can find one. However a post on YBW.com generated a set of plans, which allowed me to make replacements for the damaged parts. I can send you the plans if you want.

Photos here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yceuz08fczq3 ... G8qsa?dl=0

Regards

Ian

Kind Regards

Jo and Ian
Apogee, Tollesbury

Minerva
United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2015 : 23:01:12
Hi Ian,
I have some plans for a similar model. I was leaning towards the sold models as they are removable and less bulky. I have looked at your photo's and its a nice simple design. I may try to make a hybrid of the systems if i get no joy with finding a suitable production model. Thankyou :)

kcalco
United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2015 : 06:07:05
I also have some plans of a conventionable wind vain from am old book, I will bring it back from my boat next week.
Why have the stick in the water at all? what about a design that uses wind to operate the tiller. The Vain could be rotatable with a lead weighted pendulum connected to the tiller with string. The gain could be adjusted by moving the attachment point on the tiller foreword or back.
Regards Ken

ianfr
United Kingdom
104 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2015 : 08:56:23
Ken

The stick in the water is a servo rudder, which tilts with the wind, providing the power to move the tiller. There is quite a bit of effort required to move all the lines, and make the rudder move. Even when well lubricated. I suppose a wind vane only system might work, in the same way as the jib sheet to tiller schemes, but it would need quite a lot of experimentation, and I prefer to be sailing

Most of the framework for the wind vane is quite easily removed when not in use, although a re-engineered version of the frame would make that easier.

I was given the gear, just missing the push rod and pivot arm, which apparently were destroyed by a German yacht in Holland. I fabricated a mounting frame from 1" stainless tube and various bits normally used for canopies or guard rails. This allowed a perfect fit, rather that attempting a complex wooden mount, which quite honestly I would have made a mess of. It is immensely strong, as I swung with my full weight on it and it never even creaked.

I am looking forward to fine tuning it in the next few months. I have an ST2000 tillerpilot, but rather fancy the idea of a hopefully silent alternative, that doesn't use electricity.

Minerva, you might like to look at the Hebredian wind vane kits here http://www.windvaneselfsteering.co.uk/

Kind Regards

Jo and Ian
Apogee, Tollesbury
Edited by - ianfr on 12/02/2015 08:58:44

tokomaru111
United Kingdom
38 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2015 : 09:37:09
I made and used a simple wind vane self steering for many years on a Hurley 20 , several single handed crossings to Guernsey from Plymouth. This system will work very well provided there is not too much weather helm. if you carry too much sail and the boat has too much heel there is not enough power too over come the weather helm. I spent many hours, almost days on the Guernsey trip, without the self steering this would have been impossible. Forget about linking the jib sheets to the tiller, a complete waste of time in my opinion.
Ron Walke

SteveV
United Kingdom
43 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2015 : 10:37:09
I noticed on the sea feather website that a few Sabres are fitted with these wind vanes. Anyone here got one?

ianfr
United Kingdom
104 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2015 : 16:20:56
After doing a search om my Android phone, Google Now popped up with this interesting site.

http://www.faymarine.com/Pauls%20Inform ... _plans.htm

If you want to make one from scratch.

Kind Regards

Jo and Ian
Apogee, Tollesbury

Minerva
United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2015 : 16:44:30
I would love to hear from anyone with a seafeather. Particularly if it is fitted to a twin keel sabre.

SteveV
United Kingdom
43 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2015 : 17:11:47
There was a seafeather on spirit of venus in the last newsletter.

I got a price off seafeather for a sabre 27, £1695, plus £125 for them to fit it including setting up and a test sail.
=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================