Gas bottle stowage at end of cockpit

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

Gas bottle stowage at end of cockpit

Post by Sabre27Admin »

seasidebob
United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2015 : 11:14:14
Hi. The gas inspection required by the insurers has come up with the suggestion of moving the gas bottle(s) to the end of the cockpit under what is on my boat a slatted seat. I've seen the photos and write up of the modification to "Corsair" - has anyone else done this and have any photos online somewhere so that I can pinch ideas?

Many thanks
Bob
ianfr
United Kingdom
104 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2015 : 13:51:55
Bob

I have both bottles in the stern. There is normally a board over the bottles, which sits on a lip attached to the seat sides. The bottles sit just either side of the rudder stock, thus venting down the self draining hole. On Apogee a replacement diesel tank occupies the space right aft. The gas hose runs through the port side cockpit locker, supported on a batten.

I will see if I can post some pictures, but probably not until Friday.

Ian

p.s. this might work https://plus.google.com/u/0/10952186841 ... 5087190667

Kind Regards

Jo and Ian
Apogee, Tollesbury
Edited by - ianfr on 09/03/2015 14:05:20

seasidebob
United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2015 : 14:47:19
Hi Ian. The Google + link work fine - many thanks, that's very clear.

Bob

yerffoeg
United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2015 : 17:06:08
Hi,

Think about getting an Origo. No smell if you use biofuel. You can then use the cockpit space for something else - storing fenders etc.

Geoff

rory7520
United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2015 : 20:30:39
Hello Bob

If you look at the pictures of SMUGGLER in the Owners' Gallery, you will see the aft gas locker which I made. If you are interested in my plans I will try and produce some for you; one of those things I have not yet got round to although the locker with two bottles works very well.

As an aside the cockpit locker tops are also featured. I have now modified them so they are hinged on the (curved) outsides rather than on the forward edges. Still in the workshop but tried and tested.

Best wishes to all

Rory Steevenson
SMUGGLER of Keyhaven

NPMR
United Kingdom
59 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2015 : 10:43:10
In case it's helpful, I've put a link to the web site of the broker who is trying to sell "Huzzah". Amongst his photos is one of the cockpit, showing the locker across the back of the cockpit in which we keep one gas bottle.

http://www.falmouthyachtbrokers.co.uk/Sabre-27.aspx

It's been fine for us for the last 12 or so years.

seasidebob
United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2015 : 22:51:50
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm probably going to go with a variant on several of these ideas involving a custom made gas locker for two bottles. I'll put some pictures up if it works out!

Bob

rory7520
United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2015 : 23:21:11
Bob

That's exactly what I did. If you are a fundi (a useful Swahili word) its not difficult. If not give me shout. Good luck.

Rory Steevenson
SMUGGLER of Keyhaven
=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================