Bilge keel modification

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

Bilge keel modification

Post by Sabre27Admin »

Resnam
United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2015 : 10:02:41
Hi Members I am close to buying a Sabre 27 bilger and put it in South of France. The problem is the fishing marina has only one metre depth. Is it possible to chop off three inches off a Sabre bilge keel? If so what would be the effect on pointing? Thank you for any support here.
David

DavidCManser
sabre27
178 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2015 : 18:44:19
Hello David,

The Sabre 27 has a draught of approximately 920mm. When fully loaded it can be as much as 1 meter. The keels are GRP mouldings filled with steel punchings and poured with resin, very strong.

Sorry, but there is NO, I repeat NO way of removing anything from the bottom of the keels!!! Do not even THINK about it!

Paul Howard. S27OA Technical Officer.

P.S. What is the name of your Sabre?

keith
United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2015 : 12:56:32
I will second that. Any fool can chop a chunk of keel off with a big enough angle grinder. Stability will suffer and you will have destroyed her sailing performance and any resale value the boat may have for ever more.
If she draws too much find another boat that fits the bill, plenty out there!

Resnam
United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2015 : 22:25:44
Hi Members thanks for the feedback on bilge modifications. The boat is advertised here but due to the uncertainty about the available marina depth I have had to abandon my idea of purchasing it. It is David Kerr's Islandia II currently moored in Corfu. Pity, because it is just what I wanted. I will have to get a lifting keel or change marinas.
Thanks Again
David Manser

DavidCManser
=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================