Boom and reefing lines

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

Boom and reefing lines

Post by Sabre27Admin »

lewis
United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2015 : 14:31:18
BOOM and refing lines

So I'm thinking of running the line back to the cockpit as most of the time I'm single handed
Single line ,double line refing and continuous line ?

Trying to upgrade the old boom looks impractical and it would not work as good as a new one thats designed for the job ,I'm prepared to bite the bullet and purchase a new boom (Z spar )continuous line
It would be nice to hear from other members who have lines back to the cockpit any advice would be appreciated

Speaking of lines another question, I don't know if I'm under or over sized? (would be handy for the Manual as a guideline)
What size lines are recommended ? at the moment I have
10mm Halyards
12mm main sheet (keeps getting jammed )
14mm Headsail sheets
6mm Headsai furling line
10mm Reef line
8mm outhaul
8mm toping lift
yerffoeg
United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2015 : 02:56:17
I fitted the Barton single-line reefing system (with some modifications) to the original boom on Cariona; I am very happy with it and regularly use it.

http://www.bartonmarine.com/tech-info-s ... System.asp

I reckon I can put in two reefs in the mainsail in less than a minute, from the cockpit, without venturing on deck.

If you read the PBO forum, this topic comes up regularly. Most respondents seem to be unhappy about single line reefing, stating that it tends not to run freely. But if you get the set-up correct, it does run freely!

I reckon you can get away with two reefs only on a boat the size of the Sabre. I asked my sailmaker to make two generous reefs in the main without the need for a third reef.

If you were going to go down the route of the Barton system, you might be better off buying the individual parts separately, as some of the bits in the Barton kit might be superfluous.

The first 6 mm reefing line I have has a run similar to that shown in the diagram on the Barton website and runs as follows: from a clutch on the coachroof, to the right organiser, to a turning block attached to the mast step, thence up to a small block attached to a luff cringle, then down to a cheek block screwed to the starboard for'ard end of the boom, then along the boom supported by SS eyelets riveted on, then to a Barton track and starboard cheekblock block at the aft end of the boom, then up to a cringle on the leech of the main, then back down to the cheek block, where it is tied off. I have an almost identical system on the port side for the second reef, except that I screwed an aft cheekblock directly to the boom without the track. (sorry no photos available at the moment).

I fitted lazyjacks as well. So Cariona's boom is festooned with external ropes. This is not usually a problem. However, a newer type boom would probably allow you to internalise the reefing lines and make things neater, but I don't like systems that are not easily accessible if there is a snag up...

My other lines are of a similar size to yours.
=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================