New Engine

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

New Engine

Post by Sabre27Admin »

AndyS
United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2015 : 19:50:35
After a few years of nursing our YSB12 we have decided it is time to find a new engine for Yamas. We spent a few happy hours at the boat show sounding out the cost of a new engines, which will make a considerable dent in the old wallet.

The engine we are leaning towards is a Beta 20. So my first question is has anybody fitted one recently to a Sabre recently, how complicated was it and has it been reliable since?

My second question is what is the chance of sourcing a recondition engine that will do a similar job? My internet searching has come up with very little in terms of reconditioned engines.

I suppose I'm looking for any advice on new or reconditioned engines
Abijak
United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2015 : 14:10:10
Mines got a Beta 25 squished in. It's perhaps a little over powered, but it will plug away through North Sea chop all day long and with the shallow waters where I'm moored it'll push the keels up an over any muddy bumps!

Still plenty of room to work around the engine as the 25 is really no bigger than the 20.

Touch wood, no issues apart from the heat exchanger, this was due to the previous owner not quite seating it correctly, so the outer casing had to be replaced. The block is Kubota so parts can be purchased from any agricultural engineers, beta after sales is great. The do chew through anodes, but they are a 5 min £5 job to replace.

I can't say I'd have confidence in a recon engine, they never quite seem the same.

Chris.

Steve West
United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2015 : 12:26:18
I re-engined Sandusky with a Beta 20 (old engine was a Bukh 20) - see photo of engine installation in owners gallery. I bought the engine direct from Beta (who gave me a discount) I would recommend the high rise exhaust and the shallow sump. The main alterations required were, raised engine bearers, a longer prop shaft, larger water inlet and repositioned fuel filter

Beta will let you choose your gearbox ratio, I had the standard 2:1 and have found that a 14 X 9 propellor gives good results - 5knts = 1950rpm & 6knts = 2600rpm

It is important to have a large bore water inlet (I used 25mm) and large free flowing hoses to give the engine a good water flow. The only problem I had was a faulty heat exchanger pressure cap (replaced free)

There are several Sabres in my club (Benfleet Yacht Club) most are 20hp one is 25hp and and one is 16hp Beta (in a fin keel version which, I understand, gives adequate performance)

Steve

keith
United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2015 : 17:53:34
As Steve says, my boat is a fin keel & the 16hp is more than powerful enough for her even with a smallish 2 bladed prop.
However i did fair in the deawood above & below the cutlass housing & this undoubtedly gives much better water flow to the prop.
She doesnt go astern well at all though!

dave
United Kingdom
67 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2015 : 21:37:25 Show Profile Email Poster Edit Reply Send dave an AOL message Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
i have a 15hp yanmar in gentle nimbus plenty of power and easy to maintain it swings a three bladed prop with very little prop walk
=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================