Window seals

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

Window seals

Post by Sabre27Admin »

cpnhaddock
United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2015 : 11:23:55
hi I want to replace the window seals in all the original spec windows. (Ideally I'd like to get the sliding winds working again)
Does anyone know of a supplier of the correct seals that I would need to do this?
Many thanks in anticipation
Adam
rocklyn4
United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2015 : 11:38:48
Hi Adam, I took my windows out last winter and sent them to a guy in Maidstone in Kent the company is called SeaClear marine windows, he refurbished the windows took out the glass and resealed them and then sent them back to me with the correct tape and instructions for putting them back in. I have to say he did a first class job and it has made some difference to the boat ie heat, damp and my windows now slide open and closed!!!!! The total cost was £510 which seems alot but definitely worth the money
Kyle

cpnhaddock
United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2015 : 14:37:28
Hi Kyle
Many thanks for the swift reply. Thankfully they're not leaking as yet but expect it won't be long before they are. Not that I'm into the north south divide thing but as I'm up in Lancashire I'd rather avoid the posting business and keep my fingers crossed that there is someone similar. Bit nearer to home.
Cheers Adam

rory7520
United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2015 : 18:52:34
Dear All
During my major refit I decide my windows had withstood nearly 40 years weather, salt water and it was time to replace them. I went to Burnham on Crouch and had new windows similar to the old ones made with the following specific differences:
1. The aft saloon windows do not open. Useful though the slide open versions may be, they used to leak on old Minis on dry land!
2. The screw holes were positioned exactly between the old ones on the frames. I then
Filled the old holes in the fibre glass and drilled new ones in Virgin glass which I believed to be the strongest points on the cut outs.
3. The heads port hole is hinged at the top and opens wide to let in cool fresh air and let out the other sort.
I refitted the windows with female nuts from the outside and male bolts through backing plates inside. In addition I used Sicoflex 820i. I have not had. Single drop of water in any of the windows in 3 years. In addition, a year later (don't ask) I redid the headlining in the forward cabin. I was warned removing windows after Sicoflex was not easy; not true, no problem!
I am on the road at the moment but can provide details of the Burnham firm if anybody wants it although I suspect Paul Howard can remember. He told me about them!

Rory Steevenson
SMUGGLER of Keyhaven

sabre27
178 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2015 : 22:44:39
Houdini Marine Windows Ltd
Hallmark Industrial Estate
Southminster
Essex
CM0 7EH

Sounds to me you could do worse than to do exactly what Kyle did!

Paul Howard. S27OA Technical Officer.

rocklyn4
United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2015 : 11:53:13
Hi Adam
Yes I understand the posting bit but I am in Northern Ireland and sent them by courier which only took a day and cost me £30 return!!!!! I have to say that while I had my windows out I replaced all the headlinings aswell which is a time consuming job but the boat looks really bright and airy inside now. With new curtains up it has really lifted the boat and hopefully see the next lot of years without much to do inside!!!
But sure as I tell my wife every year the boat doesn`t need much this season and I`m not spending much on it this year!!!!! There is always a little job somewhere that costs twice as much as you first estimate lol

cpnhaddock
United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2015 : 14:55:36
Hello All. Many thanks for the responses. I've actually located a company in Nelson, Lancs, just round the corner from me so to speak who have the contract to replace the RNLI lifeboat windows. Price was compatible with the seaclear price quoted by Kyle so time to remove them I think.
Rocklyn like you I'm planning to replace the lining on the sides at the same time as it should be easier to make a neat job of the cut outs round the window opening and the free flow of air should at least stop me being high as a kite from the adhesive! Lol.
=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================