Sprayhood / hard top

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

Sprayhood / hard top

Post by Sabre27Admin »

Mikenfi
United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2016 : 11:00:09
So I've wanted a hardtop for a while but the work of building a fibreglass hardtop is long and I don't really have the time because is want to go sailing.

So I have been looking at MG midget hardtops. They are fibreglass so that most of the work done. I think a little nip tuk and some deck fitting and I could have one of these on the boat. Has anyone heard of anybody doing this. What are peoples experiences with hardtops? Will it be OK on a sabre. Would it be worth stripping off the gel coat and glassing in?.

It would be great to hear from anyone that could help.

rory7520
United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2016 : 22:08:28
Dear Mike

I am intrigued by your proposal of a `hard top' spray hood. It sounds great to have permanent protection from the elements but I cannot fathom how you would sail. Please do not take this as a criticism but rather a genuine interest in how it would work.

On SMUGGLER, I always sail with the hood down to give better visibility, unless the weather is iffy or there is a big sea in which case up she goes for added protection. When I am preparing to pick up a buoy or come alongside, whatever the weather, the hood is down again for best visibility. So to me the idea of a hard hood seems akin to wearing a permanent blindfold; I am therefore interested to know what I am doing wrong or the advantages you see in going for the hard option.

Roll on the better weather. As I write this, my younger son is sailing from the Canaries to Madeira on tall ship Bessie Ellen; I know where I would rather be!

Best wishes to all

Rory Steevenson
SMUGGLER of Keyhaven

SteveV
United Kingdom
43 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2016 : 10:24:03
I can't see how having a sprayhood stops you sailing, I just look over the top or around the sides. At 6'4" maybe I have an advantage.

I hardly ever take a sprayhood down and I sail on a wide variety of sailing yachts. The risk of cracking the vinyl windows is enough to put me off folding the hood down.

I like the idea of a hard top, although I think it is more useful as a sturdy replacement in heavy weather. If more of my sailing was offshore I would give it a lot of thought. I also like the idea I saw on one of the Jester Challenge boats. He had something like a roll cage outside of the sprayhood as a solid protection and a solid handhold when moving forward.
=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================