Radar solar Arch

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

Radar solar Arch

Post by Sabre27Admin »

Mikenfi
United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2015 : 11:14:52
Hi all.

I'm looking into the possibility of having a radar arch built for the sabre. I have looked through all the pictures on the owners galleries only to find the closest thing anyone has done to a sabre is add davits.

I would like to mount 2x 50 watt solar panels as far aft as possible. I wanted to check that it would be possible From the reading I have done regarding the shape of the arch structure to follow the lines of the boat and and where possible try to keep the structure over the aft end of the boat to retain the boats displacement. (ie: Don't have it with a 5 foot overhang).

I guess the weight of the panels and aluminium frame are neglidgeable in comparison to the wind loading that the structure would take.

So I have a plan. But wanted to find out as to if this can be done on a sabre? Is there a reason nobody has done this to their sabre? Is it the cost? Is it because the sabre can't have an additional weight mounted aft?

Any information would be greatful?

Mikenfi
United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2015 : 12:49:30
So I'm sure someone must be able to shed some light on this.

I have recently purchased a wind charger so would like to add this into the mix as well. I'm now in a position to start the construction with a steel worker friend of mine.

Can anyone offer me any advise on this please?

LupeLele
Canada
7 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2015 : 18:59:34
I say go for it! I have seen a few boats of similar size with davits or arches for wind generators and stuff and they look good. If putting on the arch, you have most of what you need for a totally enclosed cockpit. You might consider planning for the cockpit cover at the same time - the canvas could always be added later as it will also have significant cost. I imagine some owners would prefer to keep the boat uncluttered, but you need a place to put the turbine.... It might also be possible to put the turbine on a post.... options! Look around at what others have done on similar-sized boats.

The boat is your own, make it so! The previous owners of my Sabre had a steering wheel mounted in the cockpit and engine controls mounted on the same column, which is nice. I can send photos to anyone who would like to see how that was put together above and below decks....

Mikenfi
United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2016 : 11:05:19
Hi thanks for getting back to us we have decided to GI with davits and mount a solar panel between then as we want to go down the inland waterways so an arch would mean we could not travel with our mast... We dotn have the money to transport it or indeed for it to go missing enroute.

So were going with davits wotha 160w solar panel and a Rutland 913 on a 2.5m post starboard with wire rope tensioners to the deck and pit.

Anyone see anything wrong with our master plan?

ken endean
United Kingdom
52 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2016 : 16:42:16
I presume you have seen my 'arch' and tilting davit frame in the Owners' Handbook. The arch serves three purposes: supports the davit frame, supports solar panel, stern light etc., and supports the mast when on French canals. The tilting frame also holds the dinghy well above the sea and clear of wicked waves (more than can be said for many standard davits when mounted on the low stern of a Sabre).
=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================