CQR Anchor Mounting

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

CQR Anchor Mounting

Post by Sabre27Admin »

sabre27
178 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2015 : 17:31:22
A member has asked me to post this question because he cannot remember his password.

I am looking for a permanent mounting solution for my 25 pound CQR plough on the existing sabre bronze stem head fitting. Problem I have is that the shank of the anchor is higher than the channel walls of the stemhead fitting. Fitting a pin through the existing holes to hold the anchor in place will mean drilling through the anchor shank which I am loath to do as this could weaken the anchor. I am hoping that one of the existing sabre owners has come up with a solution.
Greg Shaw
Stroma of Gare

Paul Howard. S27OA Technical Officer.
yerffoeg
United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2015 : 09:55:22
A CQR won't fit neatly on the standard Sabre stemhead fitting. Originally I had mine mounted on metal chocks on the starboard foredeck.I eventually got fed up with my outsized CQR, which always did my back in when lifting. Recently I acquired 7.5 Kg delta type anchor, which fits perfectly on the stemhead. Not only that, it bites and holds better than the old CQR, as per magazine comparisons between anchors, of which I used to be sceptical. The anchor chocks have now gone making the fordeck less cluttered.

cpnhaddock
United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2017 : 12:37:09
Hello. I'm calling on the collective brains of those more knowledgeable than I.I am the proud owner of a mk2 Sabre named calypso. It currently has a CQR on 6mm chainwhich is corroded and needs replacement.
I'm unsure what setup to have so some direction would be good.
I'm based in the Irish Sea with tidal range of 9+m so will need a lot of 'whatever'.
I also have a manual winch on the foredeck
So the questions are:
All chain rode or chain and rope?
What size chain and length in either case
Don't want to be carrying too much weight up front but need the ability to safely anchor overnight
Cheers
Adam

ken endean
United Kingdom
52 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2017 : 12:08:47
For a Sabre 8mm chain is advisable but before buying it check that the links will fit your windlass gypsy, especially if it has been used with 6mm (for this you might need to beg a foot of spare chain).
Chain plus warp causes a problem if you have to feed the warp down a pipe, or disconnect it every time, although stowing it in an under-deck anchor locker could be easier.
We currently carry 50m of chain and also use a chum weight if anchoring in depths of more than 15m (Bristol Ch or Channel Is). If you really want to use chain plus warp, a chum weight should give extra security.
CQRs are OK in mud but very treacherous on some sea beds, so you might think of treating yourself to something better. I find the Delta much more reassuring than the CQR but there are several other modern alternatives.
Happy tide-chasing!

cpnhaddock
United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2017 : 19:55:28
Thank you Ken.
That's really helpful. Interestingly the gypsy looks as though it should be for8mm even though the anchor currently has 6mm on it. To be honest I haven't used it in anger as yet so haven't actually tried it for size. Will ask one of the fellas at the yard if I can borrow some 8mm this weekend and check.
Thanks once again
Adam

seasidebob
United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2017 : 14:49:32
Hi Ken, I was thinking of changing to a Delta some time this year - what weight are you using? Looking at Jimmy Green's sizing chart it appears that 6kg might do but experience might suggest a belt-and-braces 10kg. Many thanks, Bob

ken endean
United Kingdom
52 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2017 : 15:35:42
Hi Bob,
Our Delta is 10kg. I thought of changing to 16kg but the holding capacity seemed very adequate. Also it's important to pull the anchor into the bed, so that the shank isn't left sticking up to snag the chain. That's easier with the smaller anchor, so I have stuck with 10kg. I've now bought a new one and kept the first as a kedge. Some modern designs achieve better holding on tests but the tests are usually in sand or mud, while the Delta is willing to have a go on a wide range of bed materials. That was why the RNLI adopted it. To stow it on deck, I re-arranged the normal CQR chocks but also added a U-bolt to trap the point, to stop it rolling over.
Ken

seasidebob
United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2017 : 17:19:36
Many thanks Ken, exactly what I needed to know
Bob
=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================