Cockpit guard rails

This forum is for members general information exchange. You must register with name and valid e-mail address before being able to post a message. Non members are welcome to make contact with us through this forum. Please don't include your personal contact details in your message.
Keith 66

Cockpit guard rails

Post by Keith 66 »

I have got to sort those cockpit guardrail wires out, Sabreuse has quite low pulpit & pushpit only about 18" high, The bottom guardrail wire stops just forward of the cockpit at the after most stanchion and of course the single top wire runs straight across the top of the sheet winches. Not a problem if you have the old type of ratchet winches but she is fitted with a nice pair of Lewmar 30 two speed jobs. Only trouble is you cant use them properly as the wire comes halfway down the winch handle. It is really getting to me to the point im wanting to terminate the top wire at the aft stanchion as well.
Anyone else got any ideas on how they got round this?
ken endean

Re: Cockpit guard rails

Post by ken endean »

I don't know if this will help, but on London Apprentice we fitted additional, short stanchions on the cockpit coaming. They were mounted on cantilever brackets (formed by cutting an alloy cleat in half) so that they push the guardrail further outboard. If they were mounted further forward on the coamings, close to the winches, they would give some more clearance, although I guess the guardrail might still be at the same level unless these stanchions were made longer.
Cockpit stanchion.JPG
ken endean

Re: Cockpit guard rails

Post by ken endean »

Attachments
Cockpit stanchion.JPG
Cockpit stanchion.JPG (168.97 KiB) Viewed 7718 times