Masthead - main haliard sheave

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

Masthead - main haliard sheave

Post by Sabre27Admin »

Shamal
United Kingdom
41 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2009 : 12:19:28
Shamal's main halliard is very stiff running through the masthead sheave.

Next weekend we're going up the mast to try and fix it. If anyone has experience of this can you give us some advice what we will find up there (ie what tools / spare parts could be necessary) and what the likely remedy will be?

Its a Kemp mast, 1980 vintage.

Neil & Alison
'Shamal' - Walton Backwaters
sabre27
178 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2009 : 23:24:59
Hi Neil & Alison

I have been in touch with the first owners of Shamal and have sought information. This silver mast is different from most earlier gold Sabre masts, having internal halyards and therefore only two sheaves sharing the one spindle.

This problem has happened before, some years ago. The solution should not be difficult and can be achieved in situ with some patience.

The aluminium sheave has locked onto the spindle which I think but cannot be sure is stainless, probably caused by corrosion. There is a single spindle serving both sheaves secured by a single split pin at one end and I believe, an integral exterior flange on the other. All you have to do is introduce a lubricant, WD40 or similar between the spindle and the sheave, just like that!

This was achieved before by giving a squirt in the right place on both sheaves and then, having removed the split pin, tapping the spindle, using a suitable sized drift, first in towards but not too far, the jammed sheave and then back again repeatedly until it loosens enough to start to turn. Then a little more lubricant and working until hey presto, it is free. Add a little oil if you can at that final stage.

I believe, but cannot be sure, that the spindle is 8mm and is hollow! A selection of drift (punch) sizes might be handy.

Hope this gets you on your way. If you need help, just ring me anytime.

Paul Howard. S27OA Technical Officer.

Shamal
United Kingdom
41 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2009 : 20:29:14
Hi Paul

Many thanks for the advice. All fixed now and exactly as you described. Didn't need a drift, just knocked the spindle back and forth a few times with generous helpings of WD40.

Whilst I was up there I took a couple of photos of the masthead and I'll email them to you seperately just in case they may be useful.

Thanks again for your help

Regards
Neil

Neil & Alison
'Shamal' - Titchmarsh Marina

sabre27
178 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2009 : 09:07:43
Hi Neil & Alison

Thanks for the pics, the more the merrier. S27OA working well!

Cheers, Paul

Paul Howard. S27OA Technical Officer.
=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================