Genoa Winches

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

Genoa Winches

Post by Sabre27Admin »

Tony
56 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2009 : 14:00:56
Hi
Maybe you are able to offer some info on the following problems that are starting to prove mildly annoying!

1. I seem to suffer from "Riding turns" on my Geneo winches, is this an inherrent problem caused by the angle of Genoa cars to winches, IE anybody else suffer this problem?

2. With th e spray dodgers on, not possible to do a full rotation of the winch handle (Could possibly get a very short one!). Thought of maybe putting a bulge in that area of the dodgers...again anyone else have this problem

Rgds

Tony J -
joeschofield
19 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2009 : 15:02:45
This is the reason I've always shied away from replacing my winches from the old handle-at-the-bottom type. I don't get a lot of riding turns (although it does happen) but I never have problems winding. Those old tufnol winches look rubbish but work really well!

Shamal
United Kingdom
41 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 : 19:17:27
Hi Tony

We have the same experiences (both). We have lewmar winches and its very difficult to stop the riding turns. Havn't solved it yet but I have an idea its the angle the winches are mounted - but then I would expect everyone to experience it.

Also can't turn the handle all the way, but that's not a big issue as we can just use it like a ratchett - same as bottom mounted handles.

We did have a problem this year with the dodgers - we fitted new ones in July, and within a few weeks the winches had worn a hole in both dodgers - we will be putting some reinforcements on both sides and covering the winches when we leave her.

Any one else experience the riding turns?

Neil & Alison
'Shamal' - River Deben

Tony
56 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2009 : 05:37:56
Thanks, all

Would have been a bit surprised to think it was just me. Been using winchs for some years now and never had this amount of problems. Have been researching sheet lead angles etc, will do some more investigating whilst on boat this weekend.

Tony

ken endean
United Kingdom
52 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2009 : 11:47:39
Some sabres have additional, short stanchions on the outside of the cockpit coaming. That improves clearance inside the dodgers but probably not enough to swing a winch handle through a complete turn. The old, bronze, bottom-handle winches are still a good option!
Ken

brennan
United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2009 : 21:26:11
we have lewmar 30 self tailers on Shadowfax & have no trouble with riding turns (also have short stantions on cockpit so use winch handles ratchet style)

dave
United Kingdom
67 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2009 : 20:17:42 Show Profile Email Poster Edit Reply Send dave an AOL message Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
when racing to stop riding turns we use a short barber hauler to level up the sheet leads it seems to be a common fault that the winch plinths are moulded at the wrong angle the answer that we found to work is some hardwood shims under the winch bases a pain to make but they do work regards dave

Tony
56 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2009 : 10:03:33
Hi Dave,

Thanks for that, are you able to describe where your barber hauler is fixed from? and where did you apply the shims, inboard/outboard foward/aft on the base of the winch?

Shamal
United Kingdom
41 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2009 : 13:41:53
We put the genoa back on last weekend and did some experimenting. The tendency for riding turns occurs every time. It seems to be because the turns don't slide up the winch barrel, but accumulate at the bottom until a riding turn happens.

The only immediate way to solve this is to pull the sheet upwards, which is not a natural angle, especially when heeled.

Is this because:
The angle of the winch is wrong, or
The winch barrel is worn and has lost the smooth chrome finish, or
something else.

We were planning to put winchers on this year, but as the turn's don't move up the barrel to the top there seems little point.

Neil & Alison
'Shamal' - River Deben

phillmat
United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 : 22:07:36 Show Profile Email Poster Edit Reply Click to see phillmat's
We use large 15mm dia ropes on the genoa, a bit heavy in light airs but easy to handel. Also no riding terns as the rope sise causes it to track nicely on the winch.

NPMR
United Kingdom
59 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 : 13:54:45
We have self taling winches and also have bulls-eye guides and s/s rubbing plates to stop the sheets rubbing the gelcoat through.

We use large dia sheets (about 12mm?) and don't have a problem.

Could it be that the angle can be adjusted with guides (like a Barber Hauler does) with fixed guides?

Shamal
United Kingdom
41 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 : 13:45:04
Solved !

We fitted winchers last weekend, four turns round the barrel, no-one needed to hold the sheet, no riding turns and working nicely. If i'm really picky you need to strip the top turn off as the winch turns, but it was ££££s cheaper than self tailing winches, so we can live with that.

BTW we're using 14mm sheets (for ease of use) which is outside the reccomendation for the wincher but it works fine.

Neil & Alison
'Shamal' - Titchmarsh Marina
=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================