Creaking Decks

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

Creaking Decks

Post by Sabre27Admin »

ianfr
United Kingdom
104 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 : 21:15:17
Hi,
I have been looking at a Sabre 27, which has ticked all the boxes, BUT. There are two places where the deck feels quite spongy and creaks a bit when you move around. Both are approx 2ft by 2ft overall. One is on the port bow, behind the line of the hawse hole to the anchor locker. The other is on the starboard front of the coachroof, about level with the heads I would guess.

Are the decks likely to be of a balsa core sandwich or just fibre glass?

Should I just walk away?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks
Ian

Kind Regards

Ian
sabre27
178 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 : 22:08:57
Hi Ian,

No, you should not walk away! There is no sandwich construction on any Sabre, and I have yet to hear about a Sabre on which the either the hull or the superstructure mouldings have failed.

Your reference to the ‘anchor locker’ would indicate a Sabre built around 1974 on, when the deck moulding was altered to produce this feature. There may be slight movement in this area which would be not be unique and this is relatively easy to assess and remedy should it be found necessary or desirable.

The creaking you describe over the heads area may be the ‘bulkhead to deck’ GRP bonding having come unstuck in the local area. Again this is not terminal, indeed my own Sabre, ‘Corsair’, suffered from this many years ago, the problem was dealt with and has not returned after 25 years!

The forum is not the most convenient place to have a detailed discussion and should you wish to talk with me just e-mail me from the Forum (Email Poster icon) and we can make the necessary contacts from there.

Paul Howard. S27OA Technical Officer.

ianfr
United Kingdom
104 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2010 : 12:47:23
Paul

Thank you for your prompt reply, I was a little concerned about the creaking as I wasn't sure whether the deck was sold fibreglass or a sandwich. I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't a serious structural problem.

Repairing and strengthening solid is fairly easy, but I am not sure I would want to get involved with a sandwich repair!

The boat is actually 1973 and has a 1998 Volvo engine with 485 hours on the clock. Standing rigging was replaced in 2004. It is absolutely bone dry inside, and appears to have been looked after really well.

As you would expect, there are a few jobs to do, but I cannot see any real issues. No doubt the surveyor will!

The boat is up for £7950 but I expect that will be a bit negotiable. I am almost tempted to put in an offer without a survey.

If I do buy the boat I shall be joining the association as expert knowledge is always worth far more than the fees.

Can you also tell me approximately how much the insurance is on a Sabre? I know it depends on value and age etc, but a ballpark figure would be useful.

Many Thanks

Ian

p.s. I tried emailing directly but apparently I haven't posted enough.

Kind Regards

Ian

Dan
United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2010 : 22:20:36
quote:
Originally posted by ianfr

Paul

Can you also tell me approximately how much the insurance is on a Sabre? I know it depends on value and age etc, but a ballpark figure would be useful.

Hi Ian,

I purchased 'Sabel' (1990) earlier this year and insured with GJW direct.
Cruising area - Uk Coastal & Inland Only
£15,000 cover Inc outboard, personal effects etc.
12 months in commission, kept on a pile mooring.
Cost around £100 with £100 excess

Can't give any other advice as i'm new to yacht ownership!!

Regards, Dan

sabre27
178 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2010 : 22:44:30
Hi Ian,

Sorry, I forgot about the security ‘number of postings before e-mailing’.

I have sent you a mail which includes an attachment of ‘An explanation of No Survey Insurance’ we have negotiated with GJW. This will be of interest to you.

The full document including a sample submission is available to members only, we do have to keep some things in house!

Paul Howard. S27OA Technical Officer.

ianfr
United Kingdom
104 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 : 07:36:06
Thanks for all the replies! It is a great pleasure to find an ACTIVE association at last!

Looks more and more like this will be the boat

Regards

Ian

Kind Regards

Ian

nickbd
United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 : 08:34:51 nickbd's nickbd's
quote:
Originally posted by ianfr

p.s. I tried emailing directly but apparently I haven't posted enough.

Hi Ian, the limit is only two posts, so you should be able to e-mail other members now.

Nick

==============
Nick B-D

1974 Fin Keel, Yanmar YSE 12
http://sabre27.wordpress.com
http://www.tinstar.co.uk

ianfr
United Kingdom
104 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 : 13:07:11
To Nickbd

The reply from Paul was

Hi Ian,

The keel is an iron casting held on in the traditional way with whacking great bolts, often, but not always, found 'glassed over'.

Many have been withdrawn or radiographed for inspection. None have been found wanting, that I have heard of, to this date.

Yours, Paul

But in a way I agree, but as a guest I cannot complain about good, quick advice !

Regards

Ian

Kind Regards

Ian
=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================