Cruising Chute

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

Cruising Chute

Post by Sabre27Admin »

Tony
56 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2011 : 20:59:24
For those of you that have a cruising chute which has the tack led back to the cockpit. How did you route it?

Along the stanchions - self explanatory
Over the top of cabin along side mast.....where did you attache the routing eyes rollers etc...any known strong points or places to avoid, or do all require backing plates as strengthing?

Dont want advice on how to fly it etc, just want to hear ideas/experience on the best way to route the tack rope.

Many thanks
Tony J
Mike T
67 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2011 : 16:13:55
Hi Tony,
Depends how often you use the chute and how permanent you want it.
When i use mine i go to the bow and shackle on a block and then put the tack line of the chute through the block and straight back to the cockpit rope jammers (next to the sliding hatch). The rope has a direct line of sight from the block to the jammer so no extra bits are needed, simple!
However you do have to "rig up" and "de rig" this system everytime you want to use the chute so might not be what your after.
Hope this makes sense.

Mike

Tony
56 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2011 : 20:29:35
Thanks Mike

Sounds a simple solution, which are often the best, I will see how that sits on mine at the weekend. Need to rig sheets so rigging the tack is not that much of an inconvenience.

Cheers

yerffoeg
United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2011 : 21:45:55
I find the chute can be hard to tame unless you have some serious rigging in place. I put the tack line through a large block shackled to the bow, and then through three of these stanchion bulleyes

http://www.marinemegastore.com/product. ... =GENBLO006

and then to a cleat on the cockpit coaming. Has worked well for me.

sabre27
178 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2011 : 22:15:23
Hi Tony

Corsair's tack line is run back through the stantion base braces only, to a sheet cleat in light breezes or via an additional snatch block on the genoa track slide to the genoa winch if it pipes up a bit.

No additional strengthening, simple.

Paul Howard. S27OA Technical Officer.

Tony
56 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2011 : 15:29:21
THanks All..... Very helpful
=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================