Boat history

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

Boat history

Post by Sabre27Admin »

mannin
United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2010 : 17:43:54
i have had my Sabre for nearly a year now and was wondering if anyone can tell from these details whether it was a factory boat ,a Marcon or the other builder (name escapes me) or a home finish.Also what year? At the aft end of the cockpit is a moulding number 341.It has a Lloyds register of shipping plaque in the cockpit with the number SOU 801692 under it.It was also a SSR boat number 06707 but im sure this has expired.Thanks in anticipation....
sabre27
178 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2010 : 20:36:19
Hello mannin,

Having been a Sabre 27 owner registered on our Forum for a year I am surprised that you have not yet got around to joining our merry band and benefiting from the experience of the membership who support and fund their Association. You will be most welcome aboard.

With the limited information you give i.e. not even the name of the boat it is difficult to help in this matter, the Lloyds registry may well be able to provide you with more information at a price.

What I can tell you is that the number 341 is probably what we call the ‘Sabre Number’ which indicates the chronological sequence of the laying up of this particular hull and deck, but sadly not the date. We can deduce from our records (no records survived the demise of the company) that the year 1978 would be a fair guess. The boat could have been a Marcon fit-out, or by another yard or even DIY, both with or without Marcon’s kits.

Paul Howard. S27OA Technical Officer.

mannin
United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2010 : 22:39:30
thankyou Paul.I joined about a year ago when I bought Harmony(thought id put that bit in!).thankyou for the help.

Shamal
United Kingdom
41 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2010 : 17:38:33
Shamal is #346, The Lloyds hull inspection certificate is dated October 1978, and the Builders certificate 24/4/1979. She was then delivered in June 1979, home completed by the first owners and launched in April 1982.

I can be precise as we have all the original invoices and certificates.

So Harmony must be pretty close to these dates.

Neil & Alison
'Shamal' - Titchmarsh Marina
Edited by - Shamal on 12/07/2010 21:07:07

mannin
United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2010 : 20:13:54
thankyou "Shamal" the only original bit of documentation I have is a set of plans stamped General arrangement of Sabre class sloop,Alan F Hill ,Burnham issued 26-1-70.... but i know its not that old!

keith
United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2010 : 21:15:07
Chance would be a fine thing! i know Sabreuse has had four owners, the first kept all documentation from original invoices, hull moulding certificates, mooring bills, blue book, the lot. He passed all this to the second owner. when he sold her the third owner took possesion of the whole file. When i bought the boat the file had been mislaid & was supposed to turn up. It hasnt despite much chasing by myself & the second owner. It is now apparent that the whole lot has been binned.
The only good thing was she was deregistered 7 years ago so i dont have any title problems. It is however exceedingly annoying!

carteah
United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2011 : 11:00:57
I am planning to visit Shamal and might buy her from the current owner in Wales. Is she as well founded as stated on the Sabre 27 web site?
quote:
Originally posted by Shamal

Shamal is #346, The Lloyds hull inspection certificate is dated October 1978, and the Builders certificate 24/4/1979. She was then delivered in June 1979, home completed by the first owners and launched in April 1982.

I can be precise as we have all the original invoices and certificates.

So Harmony must be pretty close to these dates.

Neil & Alison
'Shamal' - Titchmarsh Marina

2E0YFO
United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2011 : 22:26:22
I too would like infomation, on Latrigg, I know she is a Brue Yacht, from 1989, built for a show, I do not know the hull number,(or where it is/was/should be)I beleive Brue are still in existence. does anyone have a contact for them? etc...

Cheers!

Malc.

boat:- hole in water you pour money into!

Latrigg. '89.

keith
United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2011 : 11:23:39
Latrigg was bought from Brue yachts after the show by a member of our Club. Originally fitted with a 1gm 10 she was re engined soon after as the owner wanted more power.
He had no end of trouble with the new installation & both brue's & another company tried to get the engine to line up. In the end they crowbarred the shaft coupling across to the engine coupling, this caused the shaft to wear through the shaft tube nearly sinking her.
I got the job of fixing it, & i fitted a complete set of new engine beds & new stern gear in about 1990.
=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================