Window removal

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

Window removal

Post by Sabre27Admin »

Tony
56 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2011 : 19:25:27
I imagine this has been covered a few times, and dont want to be a "pane" However decided to reseal my windows, which I beleive may be original cannot be sure.

In main cabin front ones have screws on outside, which once removed window and frame come out easily. - No problem

Windows at rear of main cabin, appear to have an internal frame as well. undid all screws and windows did not appear to want to come out!
Bit concerned about damaging so prompts following questions.
Are the inner and outer frames joined together by the internal screws.
are they just being stubborn due to the sealat holding them together.
OR have i missed something?
Your experiences would be welcome

Thanks TonyJ
PS Sent my pics of the hatch in to webmaster - still no sign, how do we get pictures on here ?
keith
United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2011 : 09:01:50
The frame on the inside has the sockets for the screws pressed into it, once the screws are removed from the outside the window should be free to come out. This may be difficult if adhesive sealant like sikaflex has been used. A wide stripping knife or chisel ground to a flatish taper may be useful to break the seal, also lots of small wooden wedges.
Start at top corners & work round, you will likely have to tap the blade in with a small hammer.
When re assembling if you put them in with sikaflex you will be unlikely to get them out again without damage to frame & gelcoat.
I used a Butyl rubber sealant from Hodgsons.
=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================