Going backwards!

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

Going backwards!

Post by Sabre27Admin »

yerffoeg
United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2008 : 21:30:39
I have been doing up Cariona for the past 5 years and finally sailed her the back end of this season: we had some brilliant voyages.
Close quarter manoevering motoring forwards could not be easier in the Sabre. What I have been less successful in mastering is going backards in a straight line when motoring - the prop walk is strong and difficult to overcome. Any advice please? My boat is twin keel. I have a Volvo 2020 engine (20hp) with a right-handed two-bladed prop.
Shamal
United Kingdom
41 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2008 : 07:48:40
We have a three bladed prop but otherwise similar arrangement. The only way I've found to steer backwards is to use plenty of power initialy to get the boat moving through the water as soon as possible. Until you have water flowing over the rudder blade you have no control.

At very low speeds you can use larger tiller movements, up to 45 degrees (much more and the water flow will stall on the rudder blade). If you're moving faster the load on the tiller will become very heavy and you need to be careful it doesn't take control (It also puts a huge strain on the rudder blade)so use small movements.

This way we've sucessfully motored backwards over 200 metres out of awkwards marina berths, and round corners.

Its just trial and error, try it on a calm day with plenty of sea room.

Neil & Alison
'Shamal'

yerffoeg
United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2008 : 14:55:07
Thanks for the advice.

Geoff
=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================