Rig tuning

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

Rig tuning

Post by Sabre27Admin »

brianhardwick
United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2009 : 23:17:59
Having taken my mast down for the first time I now have the prospect of re-tuning the rigging. Any advice?

Brian, Enigma
sabre27
178 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 : 09:35:28
Hi Brian,
Go to your hand book, 'Sails'. In the Kemp section, find 'Tuning the rig'. This is about as good as it gets in lay terms.

The original design mast rake is 10 inches. I have not found it critical.

The lee shroud will usually be loose when sailing upwind.

Ensure your shroud attachment to the boat is sound. See the handbook 'R', 'The Rigging'.

I you want to wind it up tight for best upwind performance, check for possible compression problems manifest in the head door aperture. Infomation not yet in the Handbook. If in doubt, mail or ring and I will send you the necessary information. Appeared in RS 47, 2006.

We will try to get the latest update out later this year.

Paul Howard. S27OA Technical Officer.

brianhardwick
United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2009 : 12:51:03
Thanks Paul,

I was advised the leeward shrouds should not be slack (though clearly not as tight as a loaded windward shroud).I may have cranked things down a little hard, so your comments re. compression interest me. Any further info you might have would be of interest.

Brian

Brian, Enigma

sabre27
178 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2009 : 13:15:05
Hi Brian,

My experience over the last 28 years with my Sabre tells me that if you keep tightening shrouds until the lee shroud, upwind in F3 and above, is not a little loose you will eventually risk damage. The Sabre was not built and rigged for modern racing loads in the rig. You must use your common sense and keep an eye on shroud attachments and compression when under load. No problem for the wires, more than adequate!

Paul Howard. S27OA Technical Officer.

robbyc0
United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 : 23:19:04
Hi Paul,

I set the rigging after having the mast down and now have it so that the lee shroud sailing upwind is slack but not loose - ie not flopping around, but not taught. Have I over tightened? There is a little creaking around the mast base under sail but the heads door still opens fine!

NPMR
United Kingdom
59 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2009 : 09:49:54
quote:
Originally posted by robbyc0

There is a little creaking around the mast base under sail but the heads door still opens fine!

We too have a mast creak - drove me mad until we identified it!

It turned out to be the mast base just moving against the foot it sits in. Put a wooden wedge in, as a spacer, and silence ensued!

Worth a look?

Cheers

Ngel Ross
HUZZAH

robbyc0
United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2009 : 10:08:20
Thanks - will give it a go as it did manifest itself after putting the mast back up - I assumed it was the rigging!
=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================