Locker drains

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

Locker drains

Post by Sabre27Admin »

Peter OD
United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2010 : 09:07:16
Hi everybody

Both my cockpit lockers have a small amount of water in them - there do not appear to be limber holes to allow them to drain into the bilge - is this deliberate? Or can I go ahead with the DeWalt?

Best Regards
Peter Sanda Isle
cornishsailer
United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2010 : 10:25:21
I believe that there are no holes. The lockers act as a barrier if the vessel is holed to give you more time. Better I think to prevent the water entering the lockers in the first place. I have a twin keep Sabre and I used to get this problem when the vessel leaned over when the tide went out. I put drains in the channel nearest the sides with outlets through to the outside of the boat. Problem cured.

nickbd
United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2010 : 18:56:05 nickbd's nickbd's
Same problem - I just bought a hand-held bilge pump...

==============
Nick B-D

1974 Fin Keel
Yanmar YSE 12

Peter OD
United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2010 : 20:34:44
Thanks guys

the hand held pump sounds like a better idea

all the best

Pete - Sanda Isle

sabre27
178 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2010 : 22:12:25
Hi Pete,

Twenty years ago we solved this problem by Sealing the locker lids to the opening. The lids are hinged at the large end opening fore and aft and sealed with 12 X 6mm foam strip glued to the lids. A hasp and staple fastener at the other end.

Works a treat, very conveniant and is automatic. More detailed info if you want it. Contact by email or phone.

Paul Howard. S27OA Technical Officer.
=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================