Sterngland

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

Sterngland

Post by Sabre27Admin »

Iain C
United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2010 : 22:21:55
Last post tonight...promise!

When I got SG, her sterngland looked like this...
4585195810_45ccea57d4_o.jpg
4585195810_45ccea57d4_o.jpg (118.57 KiB) Viewed 3518 times
I had a marine engineer recomission the engine and check everything out, and he said the gland looked OK. The boat was out the water and there was no excessive play or general nastiness. However he did advise me to change the cap thingy for a proper screw down grease injector, which I have done. Basically I unscewed the cap, replaced with a brass fitting, ran a copper pipe back to a screw down injector which is bolted to one of the engine bearer mouldings, filled with white grease, and gave it turns until resistance was felt. I give it a few turns before starting or daily when in use.

Now, however, she does seem to be leaking quite a lot. After a few hours motoring I probably have half a bucket swilling round the engine room. The boat does not leak a drop when on her swinging mooring, or when sailing (even with the prop turning). Which does make me think I need to check for a raw water cooling leak, but as things have suddenly got worse after fitting the injector, I am convinved it's something to do with the gland...just seems too much of a coincidence.

How does it all come apart? What do I need to repack it? I'm assuming this needs to be done out of the water...has anyone got any tips?

sabre27
178 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2010 : 23:10:28
Iain,

Tips a plenty but no time. Ring me on the mobile if you wish from tomorrow 0630 for some days to come, am on Corsair working

Cheers Paul

Paul Howard. S27OA Technical Officer.

Iain C
United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2010 : 20:41:05
D'oh!

It was a dribble on the raw water pump...nothing to do with the stern gland!

Phew!
=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================