Rig "tuning"

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

Rig "tuning"

Post by Sabre27Admin »

Iain C
United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2010 : 21:23:46
OK so setting up my Fireball rig involves lots of technical measurements...rake, prebend, heel position, spreader length, spreader deflection, rig tension, and I'm not expecting that on a Sabre.

However I would like some rough pointers if anyone has any data! In particular, in a good blow upwind, most of the leeward rigging is starting to slop around a lot, probably as much as 3 to 4 inches. I know it's supposed to be fairly slack, but this is worrying me a bit!

Also, I have slightly droopy spreaders. Mast is the original Kempsafe item with round spreaders...what's the best way to cure this? At it's simplest, I was thinking of just slackening the shrouds off and giving the spreaders a prod into the right position before winding the tension up again, or do I need jubilee clips or similar above & below the spreader to keep them at the right height?

Thanks in advance!
yerffoeg
United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2010 : 19:44:25
Hello Iain,

Here's what I do, but I am sure others will have a different viewpoint.

I keep the front and backstay tight with a small degree of aft rake. I use use a Loos tension gauge to get the tension right on the backstay. I am less scientific about the rest. Keep the lee main shroud and lee forward lowers slack, but not sloppy. The aft lowers can be kept slack. If I am not sailing the boat much over winter I slacken off the backstay.

You will find that some of the rigging sites, eg Kemp, and the sage in the bar, will advise tightening the rig like a Fireball. IMHO in an old Sabre this is a sure way of ruining your coachroof and windows, and will also cause warping of the heads's door as described in a previous issue of Rattling Sabres.

Not sure about the spreaders. I have a collar each side of the mast that retains the spreaders. I would have thought that it might be possible to tighten these up in some way.

keith
United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2010 : 19:50:40
It seems droopy spreaders are common not just on Sabres but a lot of other older yachts like westerlies, Snappies etc.
The Spreader mounting is quite thin & tends to buckle out at the top allowing the spreader to droop, then the plastic spacer tube disintegrates allowing it to droop further. Personally i think itlooks awful & am making a new fitting for Sabreuse so the spreaders can be mounted at the correct jaunty angle, ideally the spreader should bisect the cap shroud angle, a jube clip or seizing would do just as well.

ken endean
United Kingdom
52 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2010 : 18:35:23
I secured my spreaders at the correct angle by clamping a stainless steel bulldog grip on to each shroud, directly below the spreader end. Only problem is that I like a smooth cover on the spreader ends, to protect the genny, and the bulldog grips do not fit under the usual plastic spreader boots. French chandlers sell cut-out leather spreader boots, which are sewn or laced into place, so I made something similar from bits of an old spreayhood. They have lasted for several years and still look reasonable.

Iain C
United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2010 : 21:39:19
OK thanks for the replies all...bulldog clips it is for the spreaders then.

Regarding the rig "tuning", does anyone have any Loos guage settings, or even a more basic "acceptable deflection" setting using a spring balance or something similar?

Thanks
=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================