The big question

This forum is for members general information exchange. You must register with name and valid e-mail address before being able to post a message. Non members are welcome to make contact with us through this forum. Please don't include your personal contact details in your message.
samphire2014

The big question

Post by samphire2014 »

I am sure we have all had our heads turned by the Bavaria, but a quick glance at prices is a refreshing splash of sea spray.

Having said that, my mind turned to the possibility of moving on from my Sabre. Jeaneau, Moody or Sadler appeared to be possibilities, but a quick look at prices, for used boats, reveal a £15-20K asking price.

This led me to question what I would get for my money, for one of these boats built in say, the 80's to 90's and on preliminary investigation, not very much more. Performance appears similar and internal lay outs do not improve for those decades, excepting you go for something about 33'.

So why change I ask, when I have refurbished most of the upholstery and running gear and recently modified her for singlehanded cockpit reefing, added heating and copper coated the hull.

Well there are several niggling things I really do not like very much about the Sabre;

1) The heads are a bit small, the step down from the passageway is a pain. I have wondered about, levelling the floor with a lift out grating, but this would of course reduce head room. Has anybody done this and if so how did it work for you?

2) The jib winches are in the wrong place compared to modern boats. When you are working single handed, in a seaway, with the cockpit being so wide, I always feel there is a chance I can get pitched over the side. (I always wear a safety line) I would love to move or modify them, but it has me scratching my head. Thoughts from anybody facing the same problem appreciated?

3) The fore cabin is cosy, but getting out of it in the middle of the night to attend a call of nature (see1) is difficult. I am thinking about fitting some grabrails to help lever myself in and out. Properly located, it might also help with item 1. Anybody else done this and where did you fit them?

4) She rounds up in strong winds as the rudder appears to small to allow her to be pressed. Now, this is a great safety feature, but a tad annoying (yes I know, it is not a dinghy, but there are times she feels like one!) I doubt there is a fix for this, or perhaps I have not got the rig properly balanced, so I thought I would ask!

Apart from that, I am reasonably happy and I am beginning to take the view that ironing out these kinks, might be the best way forward. It would also leave a lot of cash in the kitty for a new suit of sails, which is probably a better way forward.

If anybody has any input, apart from that is telling me to 'suck it up', I would be most pleased to hear from you.

Best

Chris
ken endean

Re: The big question

Post by ken endean »

Chris,
I can suggest one vary sound reason for sticking with a Sabre - your keel(s) won't fall off. That problem seems to be afflicting an increasing number of modern yachts (names including Jeanneau, Beneteau, Oyster and others) so it is not an unreasonable concern. On the specific Sabre dislikes that you raise, many of them concern ergonomics, so it is hard to make suggestions without being familiar with your personal agility and preferences, but I'll make an attempt:

1. Can you link your heads and hanging locker by means of the doors? Sabres had many different internal door arrangements but on ours it is possible to make the heads compartment 'full width', which may allow for easier use in rough conditions.
2. Not sure of the problem with the winches, as I like the jib winch arrangement, even when I am handling the boat by myself. However, our mainsheet track is across the middle of the cockpit, so although it can get in the way of movement forward all controls are close to the helmsman and there is less room for falling around.
3. An overhead handle might assist a quick/smooth exit from the fore triangle, if you use it to lift yourself bodily. I have occasionally found myself grabbing the handle that is on the inside of our forehatch, but it is a little too far forward.
4. The Sabre is round-bilged, which gives her good manners but also makes her fairly tender, which encourages weather helm. Nowadays, in strengthening winds we always start reducing sail early, by reefing the main but keeping the roller headsail relatively large. If the helm feels light, or even neutral, the boat will go to windward much faster than with more sail but weather helm.

Does that make any sense? I do hope so, because if not then I must be doing a lot of things wrong!
Ken
samphire2014

Re: The big question

Post by samphire2014 »

Hi ken,

Thank you for your constructive comments.

In no particular order.

1) I have now fitted a substantial grabrail inside the fore cabin on the heads wall. This has made a big difference and has the advantage of being unobtrusive. It really needs another, either on the side rails in the fore cabin or just below the forehatch, but I have an in built reluctance when it comes to drilling holes in the structure.

3) The heads door came off 2 seasons ago and has been replaced with a curtain. We have no children, prudes, or young females to worry about ;) .

However, I am still toying with the idea of levelling the heads floor, between the sill and the storage locker under the head with a removeable grating. Jury is still out on this though as I am not convinced the loss of headroom will be of benefit.

4) I take your point with regard to taking in sail early. The boat can make you over confident in a blow and by the time it comes to taking in sail, it becomes much more difficult.

The boat came with a somewhat aged and very large Genoa. I am not sure this gives best performance when going to wind. When running down wind (gull winged), I have to take in turns on the self reefing to stop the sail deflating and keep her manageable. I am becoming increasingly convinced this sail is not right for the boat (Although she goes like a train on a reach with the wind slightly aft).

It is quite possible I will need to replace this sail in the near future, but I am reluctant to do this until I have fully explored the rounding up issue. (Although your comments make perfect sense and perhaps, a it is a case of 'Less is more!')

Do you know the correct size for a genoa for the later taller mark 2 mast? The technical manual indicates square footage but not specific dimensions.

2) I sail mainly single handed and prefer to helm from the windward thwart (I have fitted the removeable foot-brace for this purpose). When going about, the sails can set very quickly in a stiff breeze, which means you can get caught out whilst leaning over to take in final tension on the jib sheet. I have experimented with a pair of diverters to allow tensioning on the windward winch, but as it uses the lower winch as a diverter I have had mixed results.

I agree about the keels. It was a major factor in my buying the Sabre, the thought of keel bolts makes me feel very, very uncomfortable.

On balance, having got her sorted, I am increasingly reluctant to change to another later boat. I am of the view a few thousand on a few mods, is preferable to buying a slightly younger boat and having to start all over, sorting out the warts and wrinkles. But of course, if I won the lottery, those Bavaria's do sing a siren song...…………...

Best
Chris