Rudder Play

This forum is for members general information exchange. You must register with name and valid e-mail address before being able to post a message. Non members are welcome to make contact with us through this forum. Please don't include your personal contact details in your message.
Cpnhaddock

Rudder Play

Post by Cpnhaddock »

I’m appealing to those more knowledgeable than I on these matters.
The top of the rudder on Calypso where it passes through the cockpit sole has quite a bit of sideways play. This has been there some time but appears to be getting progressively worse. Is it straightforward job to fix and can it be done with calypso still in the water. How do I dismantle toreplace it and where is the best place to source a replacement bearin? Bottom bearing was smooth with no play so no problem there.
Sorry for the long post Adam
tufty

Re: Rudder Play

Post by tufty »

There is a article in the association handbook on rudder play it does mean the boat has to be out of the water I am sure there is no other way. l have the same problem at the moment, to be resolved this winter l hope..
Cpnhaddock

Post by Cpnhaddock »

Thanks Tufty. I thought that might be the case. Perhaps need to invest in a copy of the handbook
Ken et al.....how do I go about this?
Keith 66

Post by Keith 66 »

The rudder tube is a Tufnol tube glassed in, Over the years it gets worn, there is a fix that i worked out that entails boring the top & bottom of the tube out & gluing in new bearings but you have to remove the rudder first.
Article & photos is in the handbook.
Cpnhaddock

Post by Cpnhaddock »

Thanks Keith
Looks like it's a job for this winter when Calypsos out of the water. The joys!😝
ken endean

Post by ken endean »

Concerning how to get a Handbook … they are issued to all members.
chrisccook

Post by chrisccook »

You can download the PDF version of the Handbook on the website via the technical Specifications tab, but you will need your membership 'password' as the document is protected.