Skeg Bearing

This forum is for members general information exchange. You must register with name and valid e-mail address before being able to post a message. Non members are welcome to make contact with us through this forum. Please don't include your personal contact details in your message.
tufty

Skeg Bearing

Post by tufty »

Has anyone used Delrin for the bottom bearing in the skeg instead of tufnol? I fancy giving it a go as I'm on a mud berth in the river Itchen. Just to try it out.
Attachments
Skeg Bearing & Bolts
Skeg Bearing & Bolts
Skeg bearing.jpg (3 MiB) Viewed 9446 times
Keith 66

Re: Skeg Bearing

Post by Keith 66 »

Tufnol was used originally, Delrin should also do fine for the job, bear in mind that some plasics can absorb water & swell noticeably. I had this on a yacht i built, Engineer who supplied the rudder tube & shaft fitted two nicely fitted nylon bearings, two weeks after first launching the rudder had locked solid. It was hells own job to get it out & involved lots of thumping with a big hammer. Replaced with tufnol & no problems.
jezza

Re: Skeg Bearing

Post by jezza »

Delrin is a trade name for acetal, which comes in grades approved for use with potable water. It should not swell by absorption. Personally, I'd stick with Tufnol.
Jerry Jones
Sea Spear
Weston-super-Mare