Deep cycle charging

This forum is for members general information exchange. You must register with name and valid e-mail address before being able to post a message. Non members are welcome to make contact with us through this forum. Please don't include your personal contact details in your message.
samphire2014

Deep cycle charging

Post by samphire2014 »

From the limited life I am getting, it is clear one or both batteries will need to be changed this winter. Unlike some people who have multiple crew and demands, my needs are limited. However, I recently treated myself to a pair of speakers for the television, which appear to deplete the second battery fairly quickly of an evening, such that I often need to run up the engine to top off the charge.

So, having read the excellent article by Paul Howard on intelligent battery charging, I remain a little confused. It is not clear to me whether the first step is to upgrade the Alternator or whether this should be done in conjunction with the Adverc battery management system.

Has anybody done these fixes and if so what practical advice can you offer please?

Thanks in anticipation

Chris
jezza

Re: Deep cycle charging

Post by jezza »

To an extent it will depend on the alternator you have fitted - my understanding is that an intelligent controller sucgh as those from Adverc or Sterling is usually the best starting point, to make the best use of what you have. I've still got the original alternator and controller on my Sabre's Yanmar 1GM10 and my Vagabond's Lehman 80.
Jerry Jones
Sea Spear
Weston-super-Mare
samphire2014

Post by samphire2014 »

Thanks for the comment.

My interpretation of the information in the Technical Manual, is that the first step would be to upgrade the Alternator and the follow up would be the Adverc option. Do you agree or should both be done at once?

Also, we need to have in mind that battery technology has advanced since the original article was written, so maybe an addendum might be needed.

I know Paul Howard has retired and there does not appear to be any route to the new Technical Officer of the SOA.

Thoughts?

Best
Chris
jezza

Post by jezza »

If it were me, I'd do the controller first and then see if I need to change the alternator.

What is the current one's output amperage?
Jerry Jones
Sea Spear
Weston-super-Mare
samphire2014

Post by samphire2014 »

Hi,
The manual suggests it is 12V 55Amp
Best
Chris
Keith 66

Post by Keith 66 »

I seem to remember my alternator is a 60 amp, (Beta 16) It seems to charge the batteries ok! They did run flat late last summer as my son had used the boat & left the power on. We will be fitting a solar panel atop the hatch garage this season.
As far as the technicalities of it all go i am but a boatbuilder & stay away from electrickery lest i let the the magic smoke out!
This side i leave to my son who is an electrical engineer!
samphire2014

Post by samphire2014 »

Hi,
Thank you for your reply. I wonder if your son might have anything to add?
Kind regards
Chris