Re-galvanising anchors

This forum is for members general information exchange. You must register with name and valid e-mail address before being able to post a message. Non members are welcome to make contact with us through this forum. Please don't include your personal contact details in your message.
ken endean

Re-galvanising anchors

Post by ken endean »

I am intending to have a couple of rusty anchors re-galvanised at the Eastleigh plant. However, the cost per kilogram will be less if I take along about half a dozen anchors in one batch. If any other Association member in central southern England (ie. within easy reach of my home in Hythe, west of Southampton) would like to add their anchor or similar object to my car boot-full, please contact me by phone to discuss. My contact details are on the membership list and in the recent copies of Rattling Sabres. NB. The galvanising plant cannot deal with chain and will probably refuse anything with paint on it.
Ken Endean.
tufty

Re: Re-galvanising anchors

Post by tufty »

Regret my 3 anchors are still in good condition Ken. Hope you can add too yours, Roy
ken endean

Post by ken endean »

Re-galvanising has now been completed on 4 anchors - my two and two others - but there's a point worth noting by anyone else who may think of getting this done in the future. There was a price step from £115 to £140 at a combined weight of 50kg or over, and I expected to pay the higher figure because I weighed the anchors at 50kg dead and the charge is linked to the weight after galvanising, which would be slightly higher. I later measured that as 52kg but I was surprised to see 65kg on the ticket! The discrepancy actually made no difference to the charge but it certainly would have done if the weight had been just under the step.
Keith 66

Post by Keith 66 »

We used to have a local galvanising firm Rayleigh galvanisers, he shut his plant down about 6 years back as uneconomic & acted as a broker for some years until finally retiring a couple of years ago, prices were reasonable. I had some stuff done by South East galvanisers at Witham last year & it was very expensive.
It seems most of the galv companies are part of a cartel & fix the prices so you have no option. I was asked to give a price for some dinghy launching trollies a while back & the price of galvanising them has gotten to the point you might as well make them out of stainless steel.