Intro/new member

This forum is for members general information exchange. You must register with name and valid e-mail address before being able to post a message. Non members are welcome to make contact with us through this forum. Please don't include your personal contact details in your message.
MichaelW

Intro/new member

Post by MichaelW »

Hi all

Thought I’d make a short post to say hello.

I’ve got use of a small boat on the Stour but am looking for my own, have settled on a bilge keeled Sabre. I would have time for fettling but it would need to be largely sorted. If anyone is looking to sell or knows someone please feel free to pass my details on.

Look forward to chatting with some of you in due course.

Cheers, Mike.
samphire2014

Re: Intro/new member

Post by samphire2014 »

1976 Marcon sabre 27
£6,750
Vehicles
This vessel looks reasonable, lying at Benfleet, listed 9 weeks ago. Can be found on Facebook Marketplace. Whereabouts on the Stour are you planning to moor?
MichaelW

Post by MichaelW »

My friend keeps his boat near Wrabness, there might be a mooring for me it sounds like.

I did see the ad you’ve linked to and recently spoke with the owner, nice fella.The boat is probably about what I’m going for but the older engine although it looks in really good order I’ve got concerns about. Costly repairs or worse if a new lump - could say that about a lot of lumps tho I suppose.
samphire2014

Post by samphire2014 »

Good luck with Wrabness, I have been on the waiting list for 5 years!

I have no experience of the Volvo engines, but if the boat is as well looked after as the photo's would suggest, perhaps you might want to consider asking the owner about service history and receipts?
MichaelW

Post by MichaelW »

Yes I think there’s a wait!

As far as I know the lump is in good if not great condition with a lot of service history - it’s been a known boat. I think it’s just the age of it and associated spares. As above you could say that for all engines really.

Fliss was for sale at Titchmarsh for ages, recent sails/kubota lump. Feint heart never wins fair lady :-)
samphire2014

Post by samphire2014 »

Why not go and have another chat voicing your concerns.
MichaelW

Post by MichaelW »

Did think to go back and have that chat but offer would be so low I think he’d prob keep the boat :D

No one wants to be the owner of a boat while it has a new engine, so with that in mind I’ll wait it out.

Great idea to have an update of the for sale section here. Maybe a pinned Wanted thread might be good so I could add myself to it!
samphire2014

Post by samphire2014 »

From what I am hearing, it might be going the same way as Fliss. Survey by another buyer tomorrow. The price of the boats on the market is significantly less than most people would pay for a decent high mileage second hand car. For that kind of money, you might have to take a punt at some point, or look at spending a lot more.
samphire2014

Post by samphire2014 »

From what I am hearing, it might be going the same way as Fliss. Survey by another buyer tomorrow. The price of the boats on the market is significantly less than most people would pay for a decent high mileage second hand car. For that kind of money, you might have to take a punt at some point, or look at spending a lot more.
samphire2014

Post by samphire2014 »

How far are you prepared to travel? It is possible there will be one available in the North West circa £5.5 shortly