Fitting a bigger engine

This forum is for members general information exchange. You must register with name and valid e-mail address before being able to post a message. Non members are welcome to make contact with us through this forum. Please don't include your personal contact details in your message.
jezza

Fitting a bigger engine

Post by jezza »

As I shall be sailing in the Bristol Channel rather than the previous Solent or Plymouth waters, I need a bigger engine, so am looking at the stock of used engines at http://www.marineenterprisesltd.co.uk/ and wondering what would be the best replacement for my Yanmar 1GM10. The 3GM30 looks like it would be a very easy swap if it isn't too long, using the same beds and with the fuel, cooling water and electrical connections on the same sides as the single, or there is the Beta 20, which I know is popular.

Can anyone share their experiences of fitting a 3 cylinder engine to a Sabre 27? I also like the look of assorted Volvos and a Vetus in their stock. Any thoughts?
Jerry Jones
Sea Spear
Weston-super-Mare
Keith 66

Re: Fitting a bigger engine

Post by Keith 66 »

Some years back i re fitted a Yanmar 3 cyl diesel to a Sabre, cant remember the name but she was a late Brue yachts boat, originally fitted with a single cylinder 1gm 10 it had proven too small. Trouble was they had used the same engine beds which meant to get it all in the stern tube had been shortened by quite a lot. The owner had a lot of trouble with it & after leaking badly I had a look. It turned out that the two rear engine mounting brackets had their top rubber mount holes offset by about 20mm, the engineers trying to compensate for the engine not lining up had swiveled the rear mounts sideways & when this wasnt enough had pryed the gearbox coupling sideways with a crowbar to meet the shaft coupling. Result was the shaft had worn through the tube itself. I ended up cutting the bodged beds out & replacing them also plugging & re drilling the mounting brackets.
If the engine beds are short you may need to extend them forwards. While its all out check the condition of the stern gear thoroughly.
jezza

Re: Fitting a bigger engine

Post by jezza »

Next time I am on board, I shall be doing some careful measurement of the beds and engine box. Currently there are angle iron bearers bolted to the vertical beds, with wooden beds on top of those. I suspect that I shall be able to fit longer beds to the angle iron if required as the overhangs will be pretty minimal, but that is just a guess without measuring.
Jerry Jones
Sea Spear
Weston-super-Mare