New rudder ? Sabre mk 1 fin keel

This forum is for members general information exchange. You must register with name and valid e-mail address before being able to post a message. Non members are welcome to make contact with us through this forum. Please don't include your personal contact details in your message.
Andrew bulmer

New rudder ? Sabre mk 1 fin keel

Post by Andrew bulmer »

Just wondering if anyone knows where i could purchase a new rudder.
Trimere mk1 fin keel mold no 12.
i bought her at menorca a couple of years ago and shes birthed in spain ,
id love to haul her out and split the rudder.
but its hard getting things done out there, on the hard is very expensive.
when i first bought her and lifed her out to anti foul i came across the rudder splitting aroud 5inch high from the bottom.
i have since sailed her to mainland spain .
but really need to get this sorted.
Also when im hauled out and doing rudder repairs i wont be able to dig a hole to drop the rudder. Concrete standing.
Shes a fin keel how much clearance do i need ?
Ive took some pics Any advice would be much appreciated.
id like to become a member also but dont posses a cheqhe book.
any thoughts on that would helpful also
Attachments
split rudder.jpg
split rudder.jpg (434.95 KiB) Viewed 10288 times
rudder .jpg
rudder .jpg (340.33 KiB) Viewed 10288 times
jezza

Re: New rudder ? Sabre mk 1 fin keel

Post by jezza »

Whereabouts in Spain? I spent a winter in Almerimar and there were a lot of boats in the yard there. It's a good place for British sailors as many of the support businesses are British owned or English-speaking. Their rates are here: http://almerimarpuerto.com/general-rates-2020/?lang=en
Jerry Jones
Sea Spear
Weston-super-Mare
samphire2014

Post by samphire2014 »

I think the answers to your question are in the Handbook, which is available to all new members. I have passed your request on to the Membership team who should be in contact soon.
Andrew bulmer

Post by Andrew bulmer »

many thanks looking for to the handbook
Andrew bulmer

Post by Andrew bulmer »

hi jezza im down in torreviaje. ill have a look .thanks
ken endean

Post by ken endean »

Andrew,
The Handbook description etc is well-reasoned but won't help you dig a hole in concrete! The clearance under the skeg needs to be about 0.6m but as your boat is a very early one it might have some non-standard bits. You need to somehow measure the depth of the tube between cockpit and underside of hull. However, in practice, if you have to hang the boat in the yard hoist, the exact measurement may be unimportant.
One extra thought: the photo suggests that you have a non-standard shoe on the end of the skeg - ie. not the same bronze casting that is seen on most Sabres. Take care to chip off the paint and inspect for concealed countersunk screws etc (including on the underside), before you try to remove the fitting.
Keith 66

Post by Keith 66 »

If you need new rudder mouldings i have moulds for fin keel & Bilge keel rudders stashed away in my loft.