Fridge

This forum is for members general information exchange. You must register with name and valid e-mail address before being able to post a message. Non members are welcome to make contact with us through this forum. Please don't include your personal contact details in your message.
WanderingStar

Fridge

Post by WanderingStar »

Hi
Has anyone had experience of converting their cool box on mark 2 sabre? Our cool box is between cooker and sink, is there foam behind the grp, is it enough?

Thanks
John l e

Re: Fridge

Post by John l e »

We put the fridge motor undertone sink and the cold plate was mounted upright and it works very well.

contact for more details john@hopthrow.com
samphire2014

Post by samphire2014 »

I cut into the vertical wall between cooker and sink to allow side a access when the dishes were above. There is about 2 inches of foam. I am happy to use it as a cool box keeping my Ale, bread and bottled water there. If your wife likes chilled white wine, it is not going to be much good beyond 24 to 48 hours without mechanical support.

However, top tip, if you plan to cruise 2 to 3 days, I freeze milk and meals. These can be stored as a refrigeration source, properly managed, this can keep other foods chilled longer. The cold box drains to the bilge, so any surplus water can be pumped out.

I also run a fridge, but this is in its own cabinet on the fantail.
samphire2014

Post by samphire2014 »

I cut into the vertical wall between cooker and sink to allow side a access when the dishes were above. There is about 2 inches of foam. I am happy to use it as a cool box keeping my Ale, bread and bottled water there. If your wife likes chilled white wine, it is not going to be much good beyond 24 to 48 hours without mechanical support.

However, top tip, if you plan to cruise 2 to 3 days, I freeze milk and meals. These can be stored as a refrigeration source, properly managed, this can keep other foods chilled longer. The cold box drains to the bilge, so any surplus water can be pumped out.

I also run a fridge, but this is in its own cabinet on the fantail.
Keith 66

Post by Keith 66 »

I chopped our boats original cool box out as it took up too much room, also it was a filthy health hazard but thats another story!
We tried an electric coolbox but it was woefully inefficient & flatted the batteries in no time so was not used again.
I also am currently loooking to fit a fridge in the galley somewhere but havent decided on where yet, i suspect it will go under the chart table seat just aft of the galley, A decent solar panel to help power it is going to be a must.
Keith 66

Post by Keith 66 »

Update to last post, I recently finished the fridge & solar panel installation. The old linear galley is completely rehashed. Fridge compartment is aft end then a small sink, then twin burner cooker & narrow storage cupboard next to the main bulkhead.
Fridge compartment & galley was fabricated from grp foam sandwich panels, Fridge capacity is 75 litres with minimum of 80mm celotex on bottom, sides front & rear, Top is 60mm. Fridge compressor is an Isotherm compact GE80 & i have mounted it low down in the locker at fwd end of the port quarterberth.
Solar panel is a 60watt on a pole mount bolted to the pushpit offset to one side.
We had one day out & our son & two of his mates borrowed the boat for the last week, spoke to him yesterday & a week of boiling hot weather, fridge has had to work hard as they filled it with meat & beer but has worked well, they havent used the engine much & the panel has driven the fridge all day. Not sure if they have left it running overnight.
All in all a great sucess!