Sealing Window Frames - Sealing tape?

This forum is for members general information exchange. You must register with name and valid e-mail address before being able to post a message. Non members are welcome to make contact with us through this forum. Please don't include your personal contact details in your message.
samphire2014

Sealing Window Frames - Sealing tape?

Post by samphire2014 »

Having read the article in the Manual under Windows, I am keen to use this technique. However, it appears Salford House Services in Kent have gone away (ceased trading?) as the phone is disconnected and there is no web site.

I am not sure if John Sayer (author) is still a member or if anybody else in the membership have tried this method.

My suspicions are that the product was perhaps a Butyl tape, but it would be good to get some definitive comments before I start pulling windows out.
jezza

Re: Sealing Window Frames - Sealing tape?

Post by jezza »

When I got my new windows they came with what I took to be butyl tape.
Jerry Jones
Sea Spear
Weston-super-Mare
ken endean

Post by ken endean »

When I fitted new windows I used a compressible foam seal between the window flange and the GRP. It was a self-adhesive (on one side) neoprene foam tape of the kind sold by chandlers and was about 4mm thick before compression.

Rathe than use simple fixing screws into the GRP, I had opted for additional inner liner strips of alloy, to provide a means of clamping the windows strongly. The fastenings were dual-screws (male screws into female 'top hat' sleeves) and these provided enough clamping force to bend the windows slightly against the curved coachroof. I later re-tightened the screws to take up slight compression of the foam.

We occasionally get drips from the corners of the saloon windows but these appear to originate from condensation, as water-testing has no effect.
Ken
jezza

Post by jezza »

Yes, my windows also came with internal frames and "top hat" nuts.
Jerry Jones
Sea Spear
Weston-super-Mare