Metal Window Trim

This forum is for members general information exchange. You must register with name and valid e-mail address before being able to post a message. Non members are welcome to make contact with us through this forum. Please don't include your personal contact details in your message.
Albatross

Metal Window Trim

Post by Albatross »

Does anyone know how to obtain a full set of the exterior (stainless steel?) window trim.
I intend to rebed all the windows on our newly acquired Sabre. We have the mono window version but prefer the metal trim individual windows that many Sabres have in the cabin. We would like to swap if possible. Has anyone done this? Any experience/contacts gratefully received. John & Louise.
samphire2014

Re: Metal Window Trim

Post by samphire2014 »

I am not aware the windows have a trim. Having taken mine out some years ago now, the trim is all part of the frame. Can you post a picture so we can get an idea of the problem you are facing please?
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

This shows the windows with metal frame that we would like.
Attachments
E7B47768-8883-498F-ABAD-B6C0DC6599B5.png
E7B47768-8883-498F-ABAD-B6C0DC6599B5.png (2.77 MiB) Viewed 12122 times
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

398E22C6-C6BC-48D2-BEDE-FFFD5B471381.png
398E22C6-C6BC-48D2-BEDE-FFFD5B471381.png (2.24 MiB) Viewed 12121 times
This is the window arrangement we currently have.
So it sounds like we are looking for metal window frames, not trim.
Does anyone know of a source of them?
samphire2014

Post by samphire2014 »

Thanks for the pictures, it makes matters clearer.

The first picture shows the original format fitted by Marcon. The windows are of a 'cassette' style which incorporates the flashing or trim. You will note the stern-most window has a glazing bar, in fact, this is a sliding window (like a car). They invariably leaked and a lot of owners have now converted them to single glazed.

Over time the early windows started to leak, so a lot of owners took them out, before re-sealing them.

Looking at the second picture, I would surmise that the previous owner has suffered with leaky windows and in desperation (or perhaps aesthetics) has upgraded to the black shadow look which was popular in the 1980's.

So the first question to ask yourself is 'Do my windows leak?' If 'no', it might be a plan to let well alone.

However, if returning your boat to the 'Modern day classic' look is your objective, then finding replacements could be difficult. As moderator of the SOA Facebook page, I note that one owner removed his old windows recently and replaced them with windows similar to yours. He did post on the SOA Facebook page, they were available to any body who wanted them, so if you post quickly he might still have them.

Hope that helps.
Best
Chris
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Thanks very much for the useful information.
Our windows leak copiously at the moment .
I will post on the Facebook page and see if that produces any results. We don’t need the windows to open.
Best wishes
John
ken endean

Post by ken endean »

I'm a bit late on this thread but it sounds as though you simply need a set of new alloy-framed windows. They can be provided by TECHNAUTIC MARINE WINDOWS - they are on the web. You will need to take cardboard patterns and there is more than one kind of frame section. For instance, my set have an internal clamping strip, so that they are secured by 'dual screws' (machine screws into top hat nuts, so functioning as through-bolts), rather than by self-tap screws into the GRP.

They are better (more waterproof) without the sliding option. They come with toughened glass, which we were able to bend gently to the coachroof curve. Price in 1999 was £462 incl VAT.
Ken
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

I will call them .
Thank you for that.
And now,Another question…..
Our boat has an inner moulding with the galley running along the
Port side of the cabin and nav station at the quarterberth.
Probably not this year but at some point we may move the galley aft and install a solid fuel stove on the forward bulkhead .
Are any parts of the inner moulding structural?
Or a different version of that question , is there a diagram somewhere showing any internal structural elements- I don’t want to hack into anything structural.
Again, any info gratefully received.
John
ken endean

Post by ken endean »

Another slow reply - because I had to inspect our boat's mouldings. Much of the galley area inner moulding is only bonded to the hull with resin poultice, which is essentially a filler, unlike the starboard side where longitudinal shelves are bonded with grp tape. However, some parts of the partial bulkheads around the quarter berth are properly bonded and would contribute some stiffness to the structure. Taken together, they would provide an 'egg box' stiffening effect. My suggestion would be to identify any bonded-in parts that you propose to remove, and then provide replacements when you reconstruct that area.
Ken