Mainsheet system

This forum is for members general information exchange. You must register with name and valid e-mail address before being able to post a message. Non members are welcome to make contact with us through this forum. Please don't include your personal contact details in your message.
Moonlight

Mainsheet system

Post by Moonlight »

Having bought moonlight last November I am trying to get her ready for the season. I do not have a mainsheet track or a block system. There is a d ring bolted to cockpit floor and the broker says this is where it’s tied off!
Anyone else got this setup and can offer me any advice. Please. I have thought it may have been set up at one time with twin main sheets there being a starboard and port d clip for them but why?
HELP!
samphire2014

Re: Mainsheet system

Post by samphire2014 »

Here is a picture of my mainsheet traveller (1975 Mark 2 boat), sorry that is the best I can find. It appears that a single fixing might be similar to a dinghy arrangement. Not ideal but practicable. The owners manual has a very short piece by Paul Howard on the location of port and starboard mainsheets, but sadly detail is lacking. Paul sold his boat 'Corsair' but the current owner might be able to give you photo's of the configuration. I notice Facebook Marketplace is offering a second hand one for £100, which might be worth a look? https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 2b3320d85f
Attachments
20181011_103326.jpg
20181011_103326.jpg (2.27 MiB) Viewed 7557 times
ken endean

Post by ken endean »

A mid-cockpit mainsheet anchorage is certainly not daft. Mine is in the attached pic, and this is almost identical to the designer's original layout. The tiller needs to be slightly shorter than on a Sabre with a bridge deck track but it has ample leverage. The hatch area is much safer without the track and gybing in strong winds is a doddle - much as in a dinghy with a central mainsheet.

DSC00381.JPG
DSC00381.JPG (2.66 MiB) Viewed 7520 times
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

Thanks for the info guys I’ve been busy rigging and rubbing and had almost forgotten about my main sheet problem until now, I’ve messaged Fb post as it looks like that traveler is still for sale so thanks for that heads up. I think I’ll have to bite the bullet and buy a new 4:1 system and hopefully get the traveler to go with it.👍