Sailing better to windward

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

Sailing better to windward

Post by Sabre27Admin »

sabre27
178 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2011 : 23:30:00
Hi Guys,

This interesting and lively topic was most regretably deleted by an most unfortunate keyboard malfunction by Sabre27. It is sadly irretrievable! Had I the memory, I would reconstruct it. My humble appologies.

Paul Howard. S27OA Technical Officer.
yerffoeg
United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 : 09:20:59
No problem Paul!
Part of my question was about how to lead the genoa sheets - inside the guardwires when beating, and outside on other points of sail? Up till now I always had them running outside.

ianfr
United Kingdom
104 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 : 09:29:20
Paul

I would be interested as well, as the genoa leads are pretty tired, can new tracks be fitted on the deck?

Regards

Ian

Kind Regards

Ian

sabre27
178 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 : 16:06:37
I can’t see how, in practice, you can change the lead while sailing, you must surely choose one or the other. If you sheet from inside the wires you may gain a few degrees but you will lose some speed, Sabres weren’t designed to be first around the cans, so don’t like to be pinched. There may also be an issue with the spreader ends.

I have seen a couple of foresail tracks bolted on the deck of Fin keeled Sabres but have not heard as to the comparative performance. As soon as sheets are eased, they will bear on the top wire to a greater or lesser degree, with the subsequent problems. I would think that some local reinforcement of the deck around the adjacent area would be required to avoid stress cracking or worse.

Being a cruising/leisure sailor, not a ‘round the cans man’, I am perhaps not best placed to comment on this aspect of Sabres.

Ian, what do you mean by ‘the genoa leads are pretty tired’? I haven’t seen an original Sabre ‘C’ track badly worn, but I’m not a racer so don’t pay to close attention to that part of the rig.

Paul Howard. S27OA Technical Officer.

ianfr
United Kingdom
104 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 : 16:23:33
Paul

Not the track, but the Genoa cars are original and look/feel a bit tired.

Regards

Ian

Kind Regards

Ian

NPMR
United Kingdom
59 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2011 : 11:41:07
Our foresail track is bolted to the side deck about level with the saloon main windows, and quite a long way aft.

There would be no sensible possibility of bringing the sheets in from outside the guard rail and certainly the sheeting angle would be very wide when hauled tightly for a tight beat, giving very poor angles of attack.

When the sheets are eased, they do rub against the guard wire but this seems to have little visible, detrimental impact on the shape of the sail.

I have seen several Sabres with the track on top of the deck join/toerail, so can imagine this would give very different sheeting angles.

Are the sails therefore a different shape, to cope with this?

We have a fin keel boat.

Nigel R
Huzzah
=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================