Rudder bearings

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

Rudder bearings

Post by Sabre27Admin »

Mike T
67 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2009 : 18:28:57
Hi all,
took my rudder off the boat at the weekend in order to change the bearings and was wondering if the top tufnol tube comes out and if so how?
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Mike
sabre27
178 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2009 : 00:18:04
Hi Mike,

Sorry but this tube is glassed permanently into the hull and the cockpit floor and cannot be removed without major surgery of the kind that only the 'Keiths' of this world would contemplate!

Look in Tech Officer's report in the last RS, issue 56. Failure to change the heel bearing (relatively easy) until the wear is rather large, will result in unecessary wear to the tube and may have unfortunate, albeit not life threatening, consequences!

Paul Howard. S27OA Technical Officer.

keith
United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2009 : 16:06:40
I havent done this on my boat yet as it was not too badly worn!
However if i was to remove the tube the best way i can see would be to cut out the cockpit floor where the rudder tube comes through & once the tube was removed you could cut it out from above & glass a new one in from above then replace the section of cockpit previously removed.
A new tube could be purchased of the shelf as GRP tubes are commonly used in new boats, then tufnol beariings could be bonded in.
Alternatively it should be possible to bore the old tube out with a boring bar to accept new bearings.

Mike T
67 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2009 : 18:32:52
ok thanks very much for your help, i think i will leave it where it is as it looks ok.
got any tips on where i could get materials for bottom bearing?
Mike

keith
United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2009 : 20:16:23
Tufnol is still available, Bear grade is the best for underwater use.
Dont be tempted to use nylon as it swells when it gets wet, even to the extent of jamming the rudder gear.

sabre27
178 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2009 : 22:49:15
Lake Engineering Poole Ltd.
Unit 5 Stepnell Reach
541 Blandford road
Hamworthy, Poole
Dorset. BH16 5BW

Phone Ivan: 01202 625293
E-mail: sales@lake sterngear.co.uk

Made and fitted a bottom bearing for me last year. Quick and just the job. Not expensive I thought. He will need the rudder stock diameter at the bottom to get a good fit. Mine was just right.

Simon Hayes
United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2009 : 14:28:51
I bored out the top 6"of the tube with a tool made out of a 40mm spade drill. The result was a bit rough internally but that was okay as I then epoxied in a 4omm sleeve of tufnol turned to fit the rudder stock on my old lathe. I did it with the rudder in place to ensure alighnment, but it was a real brain-teaser to do it without bonding in the rudder shaft. The result is good although its not been in the water yet.

sabre27
178 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2009 : 20:55:56
Well done Simon, you are the first to attempt this as far as I know! Keep us posted.

OK you engineers out there, this is well outside my competence so let's see what you can come up with. It is going to be a growing problem in the years to come and we need to find a definative, practical, solution.
Over to you.

PS. Rattling Sabres comming soon.

brennan
United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2009 : 21:02:07
hi all had same trouble with rudder top bearing
all I did was bore out top 6 inches of tufnol bearing
then epoxyed a flanged bronze bearing into tube (compleate with grease nipple)no problem

keith
United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 : 18:35:58
Yesterday I bored out top & bottom 6" of Corsair's worn out rudder tube with a boring bar with fly cutter, Paul had the bearings made up & we bonded them in with west epoxy. It went very well & Paul will be writing a how to do this article with photos.
Now i have practiced on his boat i might as well do mine as well!

NPMR
United Kingdom
59 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2011 : 12:05:01
We have a distinct 'rattle' coming from the aft of "Huzzah" at higher engine revs and the original suspect was the drive train. But having had an engineer look at this (and the engine) and pronounced it "OK" and given the fact that if we motor-sail (putting pressure on the side of the rudder) the noise goes, I now suspect the top rudder bearing is worn.

There is some play here when you push against the top of the shaft.

I have looked at RS56 and there was indication that there would be forthcoming some diagrammatic advice on the methods/issues involved. Are these around by any chance? Is there any further advice?

We have lift out in a day or so and can do the work as a winter project.

As an aside, I was reminded of the work we had done on "Huzzah's" rudder skeg when we bought her. As per the pictures in RS56. Sound as a bell 11 years later, as far as I can tell.

Nigel R
"Huzzah"

keith
United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2011 : 18:34:45
I did my rudder bearings not long before Sabreuse went in the water, with the right tool (piloted boring bar) it is not a hard job as its self guiding. But you do need a powerful drill to drive the boring bar. Fitting the bearings once bored out is a quick & easy job.
=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================