Mast weight/raising

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

Mast weight/raising

Post by Sabre27Admin »

bcfred
Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2012 : 16:41:04
Mast weight and raising. Wheel steering.

Posting temporarily off screen.
richardmutton
United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2012 : 19:58:26
Hi,

Cant help with the mast question, but I have seen a wheel steer Sabre 27 on the Isle of Wight last year.

Happy sailing

Richard M

Iain C
United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2012 : 19:16:25
I wouldn't fancy raising it by hand. The mast is very heavy, takes about 3 of you to carry it when horizontal. It might be possible with a big a-frame, but the chances of it coming off the vertical and getting out of shape would be high. Even with a crane, it's a 3 man job...

bcfred
Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2012 : 06:38:40
Sounds like good advice. It's a pretty serious spar. I'll use a crane the first time for sure

Fred

sabre27
178 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2012 : 23:39:30
Hi Fred.

Welcome to our forum, and congratulations on buying a Sabre 27, a great little ship.

Yes there are five Sabres with wheel steering that we know of.

For the first three years of our forty year Sabre 27 ownership, we raised and lowered our mast using four competent bodies. How we managed it, I don’t care to think about!! We sensibly gave up this dangerous practice, and have used the yard hoist ever since. Consequently we are still alive and Corsair, with her same mast, is still in great shape.

By the sound of it, you would benefit greatly by joining our association. Our renowned Handbook is about to be published in it’s third edition with an additional thirty odd new articles. You would be most welcome aboard.

Paul Howard. S27OA Technical Officer.

bcfred
Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2012 : 04:04:17
Thanks Paul,

I have already been very glad to have the benefit of this group. I'll consider joining and investing in the manual, but:

With a couple gallons of bottom paint, the boat mover for launch, and a new (probably Marelon for no corrosion worries) engine water intake through hull and valve in the next ten days or so, new flares, fire extinguishers, and no doubt some new issues when (we hope!) she floats, crane to lift the mast, etc etc. the boat budget is beyond battered.

Unless it keeps the water out or the police happy, it will have to wait until she's shook down a bit.

Fred

dave
United Kingdom
67 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2012 : 19:24:40 Show Profile Email Poster Edit Reply Send dave an AOL message Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
four blokes a bit of grunt and organisation mast lifting and lowering - easy
do it every year
=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================