Mainsails

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

Mainsails

Post by Sabre27Admin »

dave United Kingdom
67 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2009 : 20:07:32 Show Profile Email Poster Edit Topic Send dave an AOL message Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Topic
im punting around for a new mainsail has anybody bought one recently and what would you recommend
Peter OD
United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2009 : 09:13:29
Hi

I blew out a 20 year old main in the "summer" sailing from Helford to Falmouth (all of 4 miles) and decided to go for a new one - looked at a few local options + Kemp - went for Kemp as they were so professional, I went for the following:-

F A S T N E T 6.5
Production of Performance Cruise Mainsail, (ideal for Offshore Coastal cruising) in FASTNET 886.69
woven Dacron. Cross-Cut and 'Loose footed' design with Teflon Anti-chafe reinforcement at
wear points, Headboard, Tapered battens, 2 rows of reefs with Leech line exiting at Clew and
all Reef points. Reef Spectacles and Camberlines. Class logo, sail number and robust bag.
(Over-head Leech line on yachts over 35ft).
Special price including 15% discount (see notes below) 753.69

They sent me a quote almost immediately via email and brochure, cloth samples etc via mail within a day or so.

I am absolutely delighted with the sail its a top quality product, no doubt. All I need now are a couple of dry days to get it of the boat so that I can stow it for the off-season.

All the best

Peter - Sanda Isle.

dave
United Kingdom
67 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2009 : 19:02:18 Show Profile Email Poster Edit Reply Send dave an AOL message Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
ive bitten the bullet and ordered a new mainsail from kemps not cheap but the service is first class
after measuring my mast and boom it seems that i can fit a 10% bigger sail it will also be slightly over roached so im exspecting great things sailing wise
watch this space for comments on this sail
dsmith gentle nimbus

Peter OD
United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2009 : 21:35:59
Good man - you won't be disappointed - \i'm looking at one of their genoas now.

pete - Sanda Isle

dave
United Kingdom
67 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2010 : 19:44:25 Show Profile Email Poster Edit Reply Send dave an AOL message Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
the new mainsail has at last turned up in a great big cardboard box inside was the mainsail in its bag with the biggest kemp logo you have ever seen
on examination he sail is a work of art and the battens all very hi-tech cant wait to put the mast up and see it set what with the new boom cover and main halliard hopefully it should be money well spent

dave
United Kingdom
67 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2011 : 20:52:21 Show Profile Email Poster Edit Reply Send dave an AOL message Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
having bought a new mainsail last year which i am very pleased with iordered a new 130% genny from kemps which has now arrived
after getting it out and having a look at it it seems to be as well made as the mainsail
roll on easter when i put he mast back up and then we can see properly what it looks like

nickbd
United Kingdom
207 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2011 : 21:05:49 nickbd's nickbd's
My new main was from Sanders Sails (Lymington) last year for about £650. It's a rolling main so there was a little more cost for the UV strip. I thought they did a very good job.

==============
Nick B-D

1974 Fin Keel, Yanmar YSE 12
http://sabre27.wordpress.com
http://www.tinstar.co.uk

ianfr
United Kingdom
104 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2011 : 12:25:10
Just ordered one from Kemps, not yet arrived, but a good price I thought.

Ian

Kind Regards

Ian

dave
United Kingdom
67 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2011 : 20:24:52 Show Profile Email Poster Edit Reply Send dave an AOL message Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
just relaunched the boat and flew the new genny what a result definatly faster and so much easier to trim thanks must go to kemps for doing such a good job high cut gennys are so much easier and definatly safer you can see under this one with the 140
% genny it was a night mare
once i get the boats rigging tweaked i shall report back with the results

dave
United Kingdom
67 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2011 : 21:24:53 Show Profile Email Poster Edit Reply Send dave an AOL message Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
boat now tweeked
with the new genny boat definatly points higher and heels less easier to trim also the tell tales help but i shall add two or three more a bit further into the belly of the sail
regards dave
gentle nimbus

dave
United Kingdom
67 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2012 : 18:17:40 Show Profile Email Poster Edit Reply Send dave an AOL message Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
one year on
having placed more tell tales on the mainsail and genoa it now much easier to trim
a six to one tackle on the mainsail helps when the mainsail needs flattening also tightened my backstays up so hopefully the boat will point slightly better
all in all kemps make good sails and the diffrence to boat speed and handling is down to this and them
=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================