Saloon headlining

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

Saloon headlining

Post by Sabre27Admin »

Ian-G
United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2012 : 15:56:45
Hi Everyone, here is the first of what may appear very obvious questions, so please bear with me!
I have been tidying up Soloist over the past few weeks, just general cleaning and painting and replacing galley work surfaces. Now i want to make the main saloon more presentable by lining the bulkhead (if this is incorrect term, I am meaning the area above the engine leading up into cockpit).
I figured easiest way is to just cut to shape a lightweight board and attach it to battens screwed to the GRP. Any reasons why I shouldn't do this, or are there better ways?
I've seen in the Gallery pictures various storage units in this area - mainly looks like books or charts - if I added these to the battens would it all hold?
Thanks for any help
Ian
Edited by - Ian-G on 19/06/2012 16:21:01
rory7520
United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2012 : 21:12:16
Hi Iain, If you let me have your your postal address I will send you a CD Rom with lots of photos I took while re doing my head lining last year. They are too big to send by e mail but may be halpful to you. Good luck! Rory Steevenson, SMUGGLER

Sunfly
United Kingdom
51 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2012 : 21:39:36 Sunfly's Homepage Edit Reply Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
Hi Ian

mounting the lining on battens is pretty standard, but I would advise against screwing the battens into the GRP bulkhead - there isn't enough thickness in the grp to secure it properly, and you risk penetrating the GRP and wrecking the Gel coat. The usual solution is to glass the battens in - clean the area and lay strips of chopped strand mat with polyester resin over the top and an inch or so lapping onto the GRP. you should probably bed the batten on thickened resin. Holding the battens in place while the resin cures will need a bit of thinking about!

It might be worth also giving some thought to any wiring that is in there or you anticipate needing, and how that will be routed behind the lining and around the battens.

T

Nothing - absolute nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats

http://sunflythesabre.wordpress.com

sabre27
178 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2012 : 23:18:37
Hello Ian,

If you join our Owners Association you will find a lot of the information you require when refitting your boat, in our recently and comprehensively updated (April 2012) Handbook that is issued to all new members on joining.

The Application Form is easily downloadable from the home page of our website.

Looking foreward to hearing from you,

Paul Howard. S27OA Technical Officer.

Ian-G
United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2012 : 12:28:21
Thanks for the advice. Just looking through some other forums and it seems a lot of advice suggests using just strong adhesive - for instance Hard as Nails - to attach the battens. Any reason this wouldn't work, apart on the obvious of taking additional weight on them once the lining board attached?
=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================