Yanmar YSE12 to YSB12

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

Yanmar YSE12 to YSB12

Post by Sabre27Admin »

Andy E
United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2011 : 21:40:54
Hi,

I have the original YSE12 engine that is suffering a few compression problems at the moment and have come across a YSB in reasonable working order.
It would appear to be a straight swap. Does anyone have any experience of changing a YSE to a YSB in a sabre?
Any tips / insight / experience much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Andy
sabre27
178 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2011 : 09:49:00
Hi Andy,

Ring Yanmar agents Cellar Marine, they will know.

Porthallow, Helston, Cornwall, TR12 6PP.
Telephone: 01326 280214
Fax: 01326 280334

Paul Howard. S27OA Technical Officer.

Andy E
United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2011 : 22:39:09
Hi,

It has been confirmed that a YSE can be replaced with a YSB, the footprint is the same and there are a few changes from the YSE, but fundamental it is a straight swap.

I now have two engines side by side in the workshop and hoping to fit the YSB with weekend.

I have noticed that the exhaust mixing elbow on the YSE has been extended by about 8" where the YSB is lower.
It appears to have be extended to help prevent water syphoning back into the engine - does that sound likely?

Because it is all heavily corroded I am thinking I could just fit an anti-syphon in the water pipe work just before the mixer.
I wonder whether anyone had fitted anti syphons in sabre (particular yanmar yse12), and if so where there had located them as the engine fills most of the space.

Any advice/suggestions welcomed.

Andy

Andy E
United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2011 : 10:09:12
Hi,

Thought I'd report back on how the YSE to YSB swap went.
It was a very straight forward process, engine lined up very easily and the plumbing and electrics were easily connected up.

I increased the size for the water lock on the exhaust and fitted an anti syphon that runs up to the highest point near the centre line in the starboard cockpit locker to protect the engine.

The engine runs nicely - a very cost effective way for sorting a replacement engine. I managed to find two YSB engines that run well. One for £100! For the moment I will keep it as a spare but may sell on next season when the engine has proved itself.

In case others are interested the YSM12 would also easily replace a YSE12.

Andy

Simon Hayes
United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2012 : 20:43:27
Hello Andy

How is the new engine shaping up? I also have an aging YSE12 in my sabre and would be very interested in the 'spare' YSB as a potential replacement.

Regards

Simon
=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================